Archinect
anchor

currently employed but have an interview with another company

ine433

Here is my issue: I recently got a job at a small architecture firm, I have been working there for around 3 weeks now and find that this is not a good match for me and I might also not be a great fit for the them. I am thinking of quitting between this week or the next, depending on the work load because I dont want to just leave my employer with unfinished tasks. However, I got a call for an interview for next week and I am nervous about this potential employer getting the wrong impression, I really want to work for this new company and dont want them to think that I give up too easily or that I am unprofessional. I was considering telling my current employer that were not a good fit for each other but that I could stay on for another week to wrap up the work because it is so time sensitive. I am worried that the company I am interviewing with will call this company that I am currently with and everything will be a mess. I have a very good recommendation letter from my former boss whom I had a great time working for that I provided in my application. I am also not worried about negative comments of my performance because I have been working well at this firm (unless this firm reacts unprofessionally). 

The place I am currently at is not a good fit because my boss does not communicate well and its really not allowing me to learn anything. I actually hate going to work when at my last job I actually looked forward to it. I know I want to stay in the field but this job makes me not want to even get out of bed. I understand that we will sometimes have crappy bosses/jobs but I do have this other interview which could turn into an opportunity and I am just hoping someone can give some advice or help on how I should handle this.

Apr 8, 16 2:08 am
awaiting_deletion

answer your own question you have.

Apr 8, 16 6:38 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Wise one you are, Olaf.

Apr 8, 16 9:48 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Don't list current company on your resume. Go to interview. If what youve been doing for the padt month comes up honestly explain the situation.

Apr 8, 16 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

The company where you're interviewing isn't going to call your current employer unless you give them permission to do so.  I can think of one exception:  a former coworker interviewed with another firm, without realizing that the interviewer was the spouse of the owner of our firm!  As long as you do your research on that sort of thing, you should be fine.

Generally at least 2 weeks' notice to your current job is expected of professionals, or longer if you're in a managing role.  Not required - but expected.  The new firm should expect that you're going to need at least a couple weeks.  If they pressure you for less time than that it's not a great sign of their management and planning practices.  You should talk about the timeframe before you accept an offer.

When you've accepted an offer, talk to your current boss, but I'd avoid saying it's "not a good fit".  Just say that it's time for you to move on, and that you've enjoyed your time there, and will do what you can to help finish your current projects or transition them to other staff.

Apr 8, 16 10:39 pm  · 
 · 

Go for it but don't name names or bad mouth anyone, architecture is a small community in any city or town.

Also make sure you give two weeks notice so the firm you are working for now has time to adjust, but be prepared to be let go too.  Save up what I call an F U fund, but if the place is driving you crazy and making you sick and you can afford it maybe quitting is a good idea.

Ove rand OUT

Peter N

Apr 10, 16 9:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: