Archinect
anchor

Zaha Hadid - Her Legacy

Kidd

With the news of Dame Zaha Hadid's passing, I thought it would be a good exercise to remember her for her works and legacy she left behind. As a student, I am open to all forms of architecture and when I stumbled upon her work, I loved it. The curving shapes and in-your-face forms she designed had me thinking "This is the future of architecture. This is where we should be headed." I'm more of a modernist, simplicity is better kind of person myself. But there is no denying the impact she had. 

My favorite building of hers is the Heydar Aliyev Center in Baku, Azerbaijan. The way the building meets the ground plane is inspirational and something to be emulated. If I can remember her first building that had me inspired, I'll post.

What is your favorite building or work that Hadid has done? And please, keep this civil. If you dislike her work, then give a reason why.

Mar 31, 16 7:56 pm

Malevich's Tektonik and The Sleuk Rith Institute.

Mar 31, 16 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

As somebody who had usually been skeptical of so-called "starchitects" (I hate that word now), I don't think I really appreciated Zaha until recently, and the news of her death this morning came much harder to me than I might have expected.

For the next few days anyway, I live just a few blocks from her Contemporary Art Center here in Cincinnati, and I need to make a point to visit it once more before I move to Seattle next month.

I absolutely love the seductive forms of many of her projects... I've seen that photo of the Heydar Aliyev Center posted a number of times today in the various stories about Zaha's passing, and I can't take my eyes off it. Something about that elevation just seems perfect in every way.

The stuff I design in my own career may not look anything like Zaha's -- even my school projects, where budget and constructibility are no constraints. (For one, I don't have a fraction of her vision.) But I feel incredibly privileged to live in a world where her projects exist, and I mourn the loss of what might have come if she had lived longer.

Mar 31, 16 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

This is the first Zaha building ever visited.

(from ZHA website)

IBA Housing

• Berlin, Germany
  • 1986 – 1993
  • Degewo AG
  • Built
  • 2500m2
  • Long Block: 3 Floors
  • Tower: 8 Floors

An innovative solution to the limitations imposed by both an infill and repair strategy and stringent building regulations requiring 5-storeys – our design fused housing block and corner tower to amalgamate residential, commercial and social program elements within a unique structure.

(from)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feministische_Organisation_von_Planerinnen_und_Architektinnen

• "Emanzipatorisches Wohnen" (Emancipatory Housing) Project, IBA (Berlin), 1986-1993[6]

Under pressure from FOPA, the IBA held a design seminar in 1986 with the aim of addressing the male gender bias in development plans for Berlin, both in terms of limited female participation as designers and a lack of women-specific objectives in the design process. As a result, three female architects, Zaha M. Hadid, Christine Jachmann und Myra Warhaftig, were commissioned to design three of six social housing complexes. All three projects were commissioned by state-run social housing provider DeGeWo. The Hadid building, at Stresemannstraße 109, was the architect's first realised project.

for all the haters

Mar 31, 16 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

thats it?

Apr 1, 16 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Lost a great architect we did.

Apr 2, 16 7:45 am  · 
 · 
piero1910

I think that my favorite buildings by her are: Heydar  Aliyev Center in Baku, Azerbaijan is an amazing building and it is giving some identity to that city. Pierres Vives Building in Montpellier, France is also very nice how the volumes seems like that they are floating. MAXXI museum in Rome. The spaces are very fluid and the feeling of movement is very nice. Then, I would include the museum in Cincinnati. 

Heydar Aliyev Center

PierreVives

MAXXI Museum

Lois and Richard Rosenthal Center, Cincinnati 

Apr 4, 16 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: