Archinect
anchor

Temporarily burning out

bowling_ball

Because I refuse to work overtime, my workdays are jam-packed and lately I've been feeling very burnt out with this profession. I'm sure I feel this way at least twice a year, but the light at the end of my tunnel seems to elude my grasp with every passing week.

I'm not sure whether I take things too seriously, or whether I'm only 5 years into my career and haven't gotten exactly comfortable with the daily stresses that apparently just come with the job.  For what it's worth, I'm days away from getting my stamp, meanwhile managing about $100M in projects all at the same time. Not exactly enjoying the pressure these days.

How do you all cope when your worklife gets so busy that you feel like you're just treading water? I mean, besides booze. 

Mar 10, 16 10:51 pm
archiwutm8

Time management and real expectations.

Mar 11, 16 2:51 am  · 
 · 

Travel and do something not related to Architecture.

Mar 11, 16 6:25 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

who said booze wasnt an option.........you are an architect and you have $100 million on paper. unlike the contractors you are not funnelling that much money through your bank accounts, you are not employeeing armies of workers with families and i am sure the jobs all have EO insurance so you can make a $10 million mistake on paper and now you can keep your house, not to mention your paperwork covers your ass. due dates. client pressures.....Whatever! that should be your response to the whole mess as you have your first glass of scotch or beer on a Monday night. i work nonstop (up to 16 hr days) at the "no overtime" pace and my body, not my mind, goes through cycles where about every 3 or 4 weeks it says - stop asshole and those weeks i become a fiction writer and hand shit off as best I can.......vacation or legit weekends. you do absolutely nothing work wise helps........and in the end - whatever.

Mar 11, 16 6:53 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Quit bitchin'- we call people like you bitches who like to brag... You either brag without bitchin' or you bitch without bragging. You can't have it both ways.... Go to your 100m dollars in projects and be happy with what you have. Only losers vent online.

Mar 11, 16 8:32 am  · 
 · 
Bulgar that's pretty uncalled for.

Anyway, my ways to prevent burnout (same situation but less of a budget since it is affordable housing) - I take a painting class, never eat lunch at my desk, limit the amount of OT, read a lot, exercise, and gin.
Mar 11, 16 8:44 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Bulgar, why you bitchin?

Mar 11, 16 9:21 am  · 
 · 

If you're excited about the work you never get burnt out. 

Mar 11, 16 9:23 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Look on the bright side.  The next recession is probably just around the corner, so you will have plenty of time to rest up.

Mar 11, 16 9:33 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Listen, take Vulgar's comments with a grain of salt.

I second Leandro's point, travel.
Mar 11, 16 9:43 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Personally from experience I'd rather have pressure and be stressed any day compared to being bored and unchallenged. Just take a holiday.

Mar 11, 16 9:45 am  · 
 · 

I don't think you are allowed to say you are burned out until you have at least 300 million on your plate. Yoga and meditation.

Mar 11, 16 10:15 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Meditate - vegi diet, fish, lots of sleep(8 hours/night) run 6 days a week - oh and I forgot to mention, just go with the flow - no big ambitions either

Mar 11, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

good on you for not working OT.

Why not hire someone to help you? 100 mil in projects, you should be able to afford it. If not, you aren't charging enough on that 100 million. 

Mar 11, 16 11:57 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

no big ambitions either

Ditto on that.

Mar 11, 16 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I learn from Donald Trump :) Bad attention is better than no attention ;) 

But seriously- quit bitchin... Let's face it- you just wanted to tell everyone you jad 5 years of experience and manage 100m dollars in projects. You're going to suck it up and get through it. But stop bitchin' on this forum about how much work you have. We all have a lot of work (thankfully).

Mar 11, 16 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Im just sick of losers talking about how there is no work and when there's is work, its too much work... Complainers will always be complainers. Stop complaining and be thankful.

Mar 11, 16 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Bowling ball.. Life ebbs and flows in a cyclical pattern. It's perfectly natural to feel burned out occasionally. It will pass. People who never feel that way are probably not giving it their all. I know multiple tech companies in my area that now have mandatory sabbaticals on a 6 month period. You are forced to take a week off to combat that type of fatigue. That sort of thing is rare in the US but not uncommon in Europe. 

Mar 11, 16 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

repeat after me - whatever! meditate on it....hmmmmm - whatever! .....learn the importance of time delay bullshit for weeks when you need to chill a bit

Mar 11, 16 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I just want to say one word to you bowling_ball, just one word….are you listening? Minions. Of course at 5 years, you are the minion.

Mar 11, 16 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Mar 11, 16 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'm not a minion, but I'm not a boss and can't hire either. As somebody above said, it ebbs and flows. With the weather getting better by the day, that's having a good effect on me too. Bulgar, thanks for your helpful advice. It sounds like you need a vacation as badly as I do. I wasn't bragging (I'm anonymous), just trying to provide context. Speaking with my colleagues at other firms, it's clear that I have more responsibility than most. I'm sure if I was passionate about the work I'm doing, I'd be feeling better. In the meantime, I'll hang out with my dogs, have a glass of wine, and try to relax. Sorry for the disconnected and incomplete thoughts. This is one way I work things out and I appreciate the feedback.

Mar 12, 16 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

bowling_ball, just having fun, but to be serious….it’s been a long time, but when I was starting out I switched jobs rapid fire…it seemed to be the only way to keep from getting pigeonholed and to get more money…but I can’t think of a single place I worked that I didn’t get overwhelmed or a single employer who didn’t offer to get me more help when I asked.

Mar 12, 16 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

you aint' burned out yet bro

Mar 13, 16 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

a little juice left

Mar 13, 16 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Thanks for all the words, everybody. They help whether you know it or not. Busy week ahead including a side job that needs wrapping up. I've always been the type to say "suck it up, buttercup." Work is work and play is play but I think we all wish for a little more "play" at work. Cheers. Have a great Monday.

Mar 14, 16 1:11 am  · 
 · 
Sharky McPeterson

1.   BulgarBlogger hates complainers.

2.   BulgarBlogger takes time to complain about "loser" complainers.

Brilliant.

Mar 14, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Bowling Ball, been there/done that (though never with more than a few million dollars at stake). After trying other companies and even getting out of design for a while, the only thing that has brought me satisfaction is self-employment. If you're the kind of guy who can handle $100M in work then you can handle the responsibility of self employment and you may find it more fulfilling.

I've never stuck to a normal work schedule; even as an employee I'd regularly work 10-20 hours of overtime to get my projects done, even when I was on salary. Now that I'm self employed, I'll work a few 50-80 hour weeks, then relish a few days off or a light work week to relax or to get something done around the house. If I liked to travel I would do that, but I love my home and unwind best there. I should say here, because I work from home. 

I gave up daily drinking because it became a crutch, and as you get older it can have a major effect on your health. The best thing about it is the ritual aspect, to mark the end of a busy day or a transition from your day job to your side job. Other things like herbal tea or a nice walk can have the same ritual effect, a chance to empty your mind and realize your place in the world. 

Mar 14, 16 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I'd check in with the ownership and let them know that you'd like some help, maybe some extra time off to unwind.  They should be understanding as they won't want anything to be dropped because of an employee being overworked - we all know it's not just the hours but the nature of the work.

I just take a late morning to be able to have a nice breakfast and walk before work, an early Friday quitting time to get a longer weekend or a long lunch with non-architects for short term solutions.  Longer down time is nice, but you have to be able to take that time w/o it affecting project schedules (being worried about projects on travel vacations isn't really relaxing).

Mar 14, 16 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Time off/vacation is always good.

However, small things like Josh said such as never eating lunch at your desk, I find make a difference. Since I relocated and started new job I eat away from my desk much more and find it leaves me in a more pleasant mind-state for second half of day. Also yoga/meditation and/or exercise.

And for me personally, Wood Guy's point regarding drinking and end of day rituals are well taken. Might be sign of maturity (?) but I am thinking more about bringing a focus in upcoming year(s) to healthier habits in both work and life.

Mar 15, 16 1:22 am  · 
 · 

A colleague of mind would tell clients that they can have 2 of the following 3 things: a project that is done fast, a project that is done well, and a project that is complex. 

On a personal level, I remind myself that I'm more than just my job. If I put too much of my own self-worth in something that I can't control (working with other people) I'll end up feeling inadequate and getting less done. 

The Stoic philosophers talked a lot about this type of stuff. Reading these (below) are some of my favorite ways to dial things back and re-center my thinking. 

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius

The more time I spend working on how I cope with stress the more enjoyable this profession becomes. 

Mar 15, 16 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

I know that may come off as weird, but it works for me. That's all I'm saying. 

Mar 15, 16 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  Doesn't sound weird to me.  If it works for you, keep doing it.  The ancient philosophers weren't dummies, and a lot of life and human nature hasn't really changed that much.

Mar 15, 16 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

That is the classic pick 2 scenario:  cheap, fast, good.  

Xenakis has it right - no big ambitions, and olaf  with whatever;  just do the work, ebbs and flows.  You are not going to become a partner, you are not going to fulfill a head design role. That is what bosses do.  Work till you can hang your own shingle.

Mar 15, 16 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Lee, thanks for posting that. I'm saving the link.

Mar 15, 16 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

Why dont you hire more people? or outsource your work?? Instead of one 16hour long workday that burns you out. Hire someone and each works 8 hours... 

Mar 15, 16 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I dont think the OP works for himself, so I dont think he can just tell his boss,'hey, hire more ppl to make my job more manageable', with out an eye brow being raised.

Sounds like your boss is working you to death.

Mar 15, 16 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

We've had an extremely busy 6 months, that's for sure. With the majority of our projects in, or entering CA, the ironic part is that we're going to need even more new projects in the coming months to keep everybody busy. So while it's rough right now, it could even out by mid-summer.  Of course, there's always more work in the pipeline.

I've been doing much of the above lately, to keep treading water - drinking less, playing with my dogs a lot, and this morning I shut off my alarm and slept in for a couple hours. I did an 11 hour day yesterday so it all evens out in the end. (This was a real rarity)

You've all given me such great advice, exactly what I was hoping for.  Wood Guy, your words really speak to me. I will hang my own shingle at some point, it's been a long-term goal of mine for a while and I'm on track to do just that. Of course, that comes with its own set of stresses. Thank you.

Mar 15, 16 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

You need to call time out and go recharge.  Humans aren't made to keep working regardless of what work it is.  Take a few weeks off after a big project.  Maybe take a break for a few months.  I think we all should do that after a few years.  Work less house, take a pay cut so the company can hire additional help might be a possibility?

Mar 16, 16 3:27 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

No, don't take a pay cut, they can hire more people without cutting your pay.

Mar 16, 16 4:49 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

yeah.. You try telling your boss you'll work half a day for a few months to recharge while expecting a full salary xDD

Mar 16, 16 6:15 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

absolutely no on l pay cut. they will get more out of you for less. you sound a bit like me in my youth. a big portion of management and experience is what amounts to bull shit if you are a serious hard worker who likes perfection. hence my whatever point, if you are even jutst mildly OCD - whatever is very important. for example: now that I am boss I know what I can and can not get away with a at meeting. I may know I need about 10 sheets of details but I also know I could issue a 3 page RFI to client and explain the importance of thinking about these items. The big dogs educate the client to their schedule,which changes wheneber. Now om your position you are really counting on delays from your bosses. you have to formulate a condition to put the delays off on your bosses. then their response needs to be put in writing so clearly you can hand it off to an intern with little explanation. make sense?

Mar 16, 16 7:22 am  · 
 · 
3tk

accesskb - if you're an important part of the team, they'll give you a sabbatical to recharge.  it happens.

Best to ask for everything: time off, software, hardware, staff, raise, incentive bonuses, flex hours, equity.  The bosses can pick and choose, but you can give them your priorities.  Sounds like you're doing well in the profession.  Keep it up without burning out!

Mar 16, 16 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
jmdaia

get your license and go out on your own........

Mar 16, 16 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

1. Hit the gym at lunch. 

2. Utilize some O/T and take a flex day./Pack 40 hours into 4 days and take Friday off.

3. Spread out your vacation by taking one week every 4 months or so, or take a long 1.5 week vacation at one point and then spread the rest over Friday's/Monday's.

4. Find some kind of physical sport or extra activity that you enjoy doing. I.E. Surfing, skiing, wake boarding, cross fit, mountain biking. 

One of the ways you feel burned out is that you feel that work is all there is to life. You need to find a way to make life outside of work more full of life, even if you are exhausted at the end of the day. Make work the thing that happens in between all the fun you are having in life.

There are lots of people in the industry who put in 50-70 hour weeks. Consider yourself lucky. 

Mar 19, 16 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: