Archinect
anchor

Architecture vs. Landscape Architecture ??

asdmin

Hi,

I studied Interior Architecture in U.S and spent one semester to study Architecture.

I recently got admitted to GSD MLA1, Cornell M.Arch1, and Upenn M.Arch1.

And of course still waiting for Yale, which is my first priority.

Honestly, I haven't really thougt about the Landscape Architecture before

so I'm wondering prospects of both fields....

Since I've been grown up in a small Asian country,

there isn't much landscape jobs or works, which is pretty sad.

What do you guys think about the Landscape Architecture?

I know this is a stupid question...but actually, there's no one who can advise me.

Thank you.

Mar 6, 16 10:20 pm
x-jla

It all depends on what you are interested in.  I'm not sure how it is in your home country, but in the US there are plenty of jobs in Landscape architecture.   

Mar 6, 16 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I enjoy it (in an office doing both) - in LA you spend more time working on things you can't control like weather/growth of plants/aging of materials to design focusing on how a project will age.  In architecture it's about working out the design details for full control.  In residential it means interior architecture is to the 1/16th or 1/32nd of an inch.  Landscape is more in the realm of closest inch (for appearance), much tighter for code compliance.  A lot of architects practice landscape, especially in urban areas as urban design is a grey area.  Of the schools listed GSD and UPenn have the programs close by (share facilities), I think Cornell's MLA is in the Ag school?  Yale is very much building architecture oriented (while they often have a LA on the faculty, the understanding of landscape design is not its strength).

All in all, the academic differences are different from the practices.

Mar 7, 16 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I did both and got registered in both,  never been un employed ... ever! It's a great skill set that any office can use even if they don't do Landscape Architecture.  Any good Architect will recognize the importance of good site planning and landscape design. If they don't I don't think you should consider working there.

Mar 7, 16 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

Thanks guys, these comments are very helpful.

I'm still hesitating tho, but still have a month to consider about it.

My background is Interior Architecture, so....Idk....

I personally like to be in controlled situation, so maybe Architecture would be better for me?

Mar 7, 16 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: