Archinect
anchor

Take a breath

go do it

I have been noticing a lot of threads about dissatisfaction with either school or just the  architectural trade as a whole and I have a couple of thoughts. Now granted I am not an architect but a general contractor with the advantage of not being stuck in front of a computer all day but in the field putting things together which I think prevents cabin fever and stagnation. Not being an architect I do not have to be shackled with having to remember and design for the abundance of codes and regulations. Of course I need to fulfill my obligation to the construction process and in the end I am the last one to ensure that the project is done correctly but I think that it is easier to follow the drawings and make sure they are correct than to put all the information down to start with. What I am saying is that I appreciate and sympathise with all the headaches that the design process puts you guys through while at the same time I hope you all appreciate my headaches of turning all those lines into a building. So we all do our part.

After 30 years in the trade and 25 being in business I still like the romance of building and sometimes designing. Taking a load of lumber and with my hands and knowledge and making it look like the picture that you guys give me is still a cool thing.

For all of you that are frustrated just remember we are creating things and not everybody gets to do that for a living. If you are a cad monkey and feel stuck no one is stopping you from drawing something up and pitching the idea to someone just keep moving forward. And I have no idea how office politics work the only thong (typo left in on purpose) I know is that being an employer I always appreciate constructive contributions and initiative. Initiative is the most important attribute.

So take a few minutes and watch this video.Okeanos Explorer Northeast U.S. Canyons 2013 Expedition  I was just impressed by the excitement and a sense of wonder that was presented layered on top of an appreciation of good work by another trade. Smoke a bowl or make a drink set it on full screen and remember why you wanted to design and build and create stuff to start with. 

Website Okeanos Explorer

Mar 4, 16 2:19 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: