Archinect
anchor

Austrian Architecture Degrees

Clarke

I'm looking into starting architecture for 2012, and am wondering if anyone can give some recommendations for Austrian (or German) universities that offer it. I have somewhat looked into the following, and am having a hard time figuring out which are generally drafting and engineering side of architecture and which are more artistic and creatively oriented. 

TU Wien

TU Graz

Die Angewandte (also in Vienna)

Also, if there are some that accept Masters students from entirely different fields then that would be preferable, but it's probably asking too much. I have a German Literature degree with art history that is probably going to hang useless on my wall as of right now. Has anyone gone to any of these, or heard anything positive/negative about them, or have any other input? I'm also looking into Dalhousie and U of T, but would rather stay in europe.

Jul 28, 11 11:18 am
Sebastian Pertl

As far as I know die Angewandte is predominantly English speaking.

Jul 28, 11 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Clarke

That would be a plus, and I think TU Wien is as well... I don't mind if they're in german either though. I'm digging into more and Kunst Universität Linz seems to be one of the few other Austrian ones, so really ANY info on these is helpful

Jul 28, 11 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
farougi

as far as i know angewandte is very AA-wannabe. a quick walk through the arch building (or just the 3 floors) will give u a very good idea. TU Wien is pretty typical like the german schools. i think german schools are generally more conventional, less parametric design if thats what ur looking for (if yes then goto angewandte).

u have to take the entrance exam.. i think u missed the july date but theres another in sept. most applicants tend to already have studied architecture but exceptional talent is recognized!

to be honest if u want to find work u should probably goto a TU.. i didnt see any single plan or sections when i visited angewandte.. people just seem to spend all their time programming

Aug 11, 11 4:48 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

Ok, you said Austria ( and not Tirol ;-) ), but I'd consider looking at Innsbruck. They seem to offer a wide range of course offerings, from former Bartlett tutors to the Pat Schumacher led department of Experimental Design. The school seemed to have nice facilities and lots of quality work was on display. All of that in a cool little alpine environment with a small but tight-knit creative scene.

Aug 11, 11 5:46 am  · 
 · 
Clarke

Thanks! Hailcien, I have a job in Germany for this year, so it would be for next year anyway, but that is very helpful to know (especially that there are TWO entrance exams). The Angewandte website was not very descriptive in what they actually do. Do you know if any others of these recognize a BA from another faculty entirely for a Masters? Besides perhaps Angewandte? Also, does TU need a portfolio?

The University of Innsbruck does look pretty good, too, and it looks like I'm not getting past this useless German degree one way or another, so I might as well start from scratch somewhere nice ;) ...Or at least with mountains? Unfortunately I'm also a little bit in love with Vienna, which is definitely swaying my rational judgement here, but there's also Linz and Graz which I have heard nearly nothing on yet. Good answers! Very helpful :)

Aug 12, 11 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Agree that innsbruck might offer some interesting possibilities - especially in the fields of low energy/progressive wood construction or if you want to work in vorarlberg/tirol

TU muenchen also may be of interest

Aug 12, 11 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Clarke

Well, I'm definitely not hell-bent on working in Tirol, but it does look like a pretty nice school. TU München looks good, too, but the Bachelors is longer than the other ones? It's 8 instead of 6 semesters like the rest, but the Masters degree looks good.  Stuttgart is the other German one I've been repeatedly told about. 

Aug 13, 11 2:16 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

Hi Clarke, there are two schools in Stuttgart actually: Universität Stuttgart and the Staatliche Akademie der Bildenden Künste (ABK). I would say that both are top-notch places to study. Particularly interesting could be the ICD or ILEK departments at Uni Stuttgart. Also, the ABK has possibly the best facilities in terms of fabrication, metal working, etc. of any school I've visited. Because the school is a design school, there are plenty of opportunities to work with other departments doing things as diverse as glass-blowing or book-binding to video-installations, if that sort of thing interests you. The university in contrast is understandably more straight-ahead architecture focused, but no less good. I guess it just depends on your own goals.

One thing to consider, though Stuttgart is a perfectly nice southern German city with it's pockets of urban life surrounded by often beautiful rolling landscapes, it's not exactly Wien either.

Aug 13, 11 5:01 am  · 
 · 
Clarke

Oh nice, I know a couple people at Uni Stuttgart, but hadn't even heard of ABK. I lean much more towards the art side of architecture than the technical side, so that seems a little more probable for me. And the facilities sound amazing!

I'm actually teaching at a college this year that specializes in industrial metalwork and glasswork, so hopefully I can pick up those skills and put them to use along the way. I did find a few schools that I can go right into the masters program though, so I'm still leaning more towards that option, and it looks like ABK needs a bachelor of arch first. 

Very true on the landscape, too. I just moved to Jena, Germany from Wien, and though pretty and full of canoeing opportunities (always important for a canadian gal), it's definitely no Vienna. 

Aug 14, 11 8:56 am  · 
 · 
farougi

ALL german Master Sc./A (TUM) Architecture programs require a Bachelor in Architecture..

Aug 14, 11 9:56 am  · 
 · 
farougi

i think it's also too late to apply for next semester as the deadlines for most was july 15th.. or maybe u can try your luck with the "lottery" system some have.

Aug 14, 11 9:58 am  · 
 · 
Clarke

Still not applying for next semester... I have a job in Germany until next June. The Angewandte one I am getting mixed information about the requirements, so waiting to get an email back about the specifics. As for the others, I'd be applying to the Bachelors for most, so Bachelors or Masters depends on which country I end up in now :( Thanks for the answers!

Aug 14, 11 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Canoeing! hahaha. I'm also a canuck living in the land of currywurst and sauerkraut, so I know what you mean Clarke!

But as to you general queries, I think every M.Arch or similar (Msc Arch, Dip.Ing arch,etc) in Germany requires a related architecture undergrad as a pre-rec.

Also die angewandte is a post-prof. program and will, therefore not allow you to sit the licensing exams in ANY country. Well, certainly not Canada, Germany, UK, USA, anyways...

But besides, while I know some people involved in the various studios there, and respect very much the school as a whole, I wouldn't exactly recommend it as a first degree in architecture. Personally, I find the curriculum waaaay too focused on a certain theoretical and tooling-based frame-work.

Aug 14, 11 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Clarke

Ah thanks, IamGray! That is extremely good to know about Angewandte. I think I have been looking at so many requirements for so many schools that it's hard to keep track of who needs what, and which schools are more accredited. PS are you working, or studying here?

Anyway, it is looking like the long route in Austria or Germany (Bachelors again, then Masters), or the short route doing a masters in Canada. Veeery helpful, guys. Thanks a bunch :)

Aug 15, 11 3:07 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

Shit...just checked out the angewandte website. Turns out I'm giving you old news! I guess they do offer a M.Arch now (ie. first professional degree). But, alas they also require a related bachelor degree as a prerequisite. 

I'm currently working in Germany by the way, but also looking to continue my education in the German-speaking world.

Aug 15, 11 5:35 am  · 
 · 
Clarke

Aaaah yes, I think I looked at both, but it looks like it's back to canada at least for the school portion of the degree. (Not yet) I'm keeping my eye out for internships for later though. It's crazy how different the programs can be between North America and Europe. I'm taking some architecture history courses to stamp out my craving for the time being, but will probably just suck it up and go back to Canada and its dreadful student loans. 

The German-speaking schools are pretty good from what I can tell... it's going to be a little sad going back next year. What are you looking to study?

Aug 17, 11 4:55 am  · 
 · 
Mizzi

For Vienna you could also consider the 'Bildende' https://ika.akbild.ac.at/

Or if you are currently in Jena you should check out the Bauhaus-University in Weimar

http://www.uni-weimar.de/cms/

Aug 18, 11 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Clarke

I took a summer course at Bauhaus a couple years ago, but apparently they don't even want a portfolio. Just a pass on the aptitude test is required? Since I'm here anyway, I'll go see them and ask about it :) I also forgot about the Bildende, though I did look at it, and liked what I saw. I have so many to ask about and try to keep straight that it's getting a little tricky here. But, good options, Mizzi, I'll look into both. Thanks!

Aug 18, 11 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

hi 

I'm thinking of applying to the Angewandte in a year also.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand you don't need an architecture degree but any degree will suffice.

I would love to hear from anyone currently in that school or a graduate who could talk about the entrance examination etc. 

Aug 19, 11 6:00 am  · 
 · 
Clarke

Hey, do you mean the Masters, too? Here's the link to the info, but it looks like they need a Bachelors (until part 3), though I've heard that they're lenient, and will sometimes accept people from other faculties... it's iffy though

http://www.uni-ak.ac.at/stab/curricula/arch_2011U_00_e.pdf

Aug 19, 11 7:04 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

ah you're right..  I think they're lenient too.  From what I heard, unlike other universities in North America, they don't take one's mark/performance from the previous degree into consideration.  As long as you have completed a degree, the portfolio, interview and test is what dictates admission into the program. 

Have you decided where you want to attend?  I plan to send in my application during July.

Aug 19, 11 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

btw I had two classmates who did an exchange at TU Wien and another at die Angewandte.  The one who attened TU Wien said it was no where as intensive as a school like Waterloo.  Students and profs didn't show up frequently.  I didn't doubt her seeing how education is free in Austria and TU Wien takes in any student who've completed their highschool.  

While the other classmate who did an exchange at die Angewandte had plenty of good things to say about that school like how creative the who school was and fun it was.  She actually wanted to drop out of Waterloo and transfer to Angewandte but her parents didn't allow her.

Likewiase, I personally did do an internship with a firm in Vienna and worked with a guy who completed his Masters from TU.  He seemed like he had no design skills whatsoever nor much knowledge about what was happening in the architecture community around the world. 

Aug 19, 11 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
Clarke

yeah, I got excited when I thought they didn't need a B. Arch first, too... but Die Angewandte is still one of my top picks, and it can't hurt to try. I'm applying every which way, but still don't know where I want to go. Your comments on TU Wien are really helpful though... I know a couple people doing engineering there, and it seems good for that, but not so good for architecture. 

Die Angewandte still does look like it's more my style (a little bit experimental, and a lot of hands on work) from what I can tell, and Bildenden Kunst also looks pretty good. I'm applying to those 2, Dalhousie, U of T, and possibly SCI-Arc as well. Were you at Waterloo? Also, what firm in Vienna did you work for? I just moved from there a couple weeks ago. 

Aug 20, 11 2:28 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

yes, I just graduated from Waterloo.  If you have a good portfolio, I'm pretty sure Angewandte will accept you.  From my understanding, they might just ask you to take some courses at TU or other Austrian universities to make up for it.  

What were you doing in Vienna?  i interned at Chalabi architects

Aug 20, 11 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
junior

I had actually thought about applying to Die Angewandte for next year as well, but I do not speak very much German. Would that pose a risk for me?

Aug 20, 11 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

It would help if you could speak German but I believe they teach in english.  All the studio profs like Zaha Hadid, Greg Lynn, Hana Rashid etc aren't Austrian nationals :)

Aug 20, 11 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
junior

@accesskb

I did see the studio information on their website and thought that if those architects teach there then it has to be in english, but i wasnt so sure about out of studio courses. Thanks very much for your help.

Aug 20, 11 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Clarke

I was actually just working for a family and taking care of kids for the summer. Pretty lame. But, this year I get a year to relax (not at all) while applying for masters programs and working in a school and for a magazine here. How was the Waterloo program? One of my professors suggested it to me as well

@jffrybttsjr: I have been told it's in English, too... buut I'd still brush up on the language a bit before you go. Can't hurt to be prepared, right? There are always those stubborn profs that refuse to teach in the language it implies on the course outlines. 

Aug 21, 11 2:48 am  · 
 · 
pido

Not sure if you have decided yet Clarke, anyway I felt like contributing :) Might become an annoyingly long post though... (all of it my personal perception of course)

Well as figured out already in Vienna there are three possibilities: die Angewandte, die Bildende and the TU Wien.

Both of the Arts Universities only except limited amounts of student (eg. not more then about 20 studends a year at the Biildende) while the TU is open. I didn't check but in the Bachelor there should be something between 800 to 1000 (!) new students each year.

Btw I'm quite sure, that a B.Arch is necessary to get into the Master with all Universities (you should be able to take credit for some of your previous courses though).

It's true that the TU is very easy going. And especially at the first semesters there are way to many students. If you have strong selfmotivation though and manage to find good asisstants/proffesors, you will learn a lot and get proper feedback.

The curriculum at the bachelor doesnt give you too much to choose from, but within the Master there is a great variety of Design Studios and Modules. Check here:

https://tiss.tuwien.ac.at/curriculum/public/curriculum.xhtml?windowId=cdf&key=41934&semester=CURRENT

(there actually are two Masters: Master of Architecture and Master of Building Science and Technology)

Die Bildende is a small University that tries to position itself as Architeture School with lots of Theorie and Analysis as Base for Design Projects. The First Semester for example there is no designing at all - only analysis. Obviously with a small number of students, there will be more intense critics and a closer relation to the teaching staff. There are no "Masterclasses". The curriculum is fixed in the Bachelor and I think in the Master too. (sidenote: they encourage students to study one semester at one of the other University Departments)

Die Angewandte is the one where I dont have much insight - apart of the good libary. They have a Masterclass - System. Obviously led by very famous architects. I believe its the most international University and they are known for doing state of the art, freeform, parametric designs. (Small number of students too.)

I heard many students criticising other universities and met some architects recommending NOT to go their own Alma Mater. Lots of opinions, here is mine:

If i would start all over I would probably pick die Bildende for my B.Arch. and the TU Wien for my Masters. Why? No offense, i'm sure that die Angewandte has exellent Graduates (with good connections to the Proffessional World) but I personally never felt comfortable with Studios led by one architect (probably one could change studio though...). Also I felt there is a bit of a lack of variety in the design projects, even though average quality is high.

The Bildende seems to be a good start because the classes are small and critics intense. Also I like the way they teach you to see, analyse and present things (teaching of analysis is almost nonexistent at TU - they just expect you to do it). And the variety of projects is good.

There are lots of disadvantages coming with a Mass-University as the TU but there are advantages (in the Master): variety and freedom. You can pick your courses and professors and there are many to choose from. Small Scale Interior/Furniture; Housing; Public Buildings; Urban Design; Construction stuff; Parametric Design; etc etc. Also there are many Exchange Programs to choose. But as mentioned you really need to have selfmotivation! (and many struggle with that).

(Always recommended if not yet done: check the student projects!)

Hope this helps - feel free to ask - schoene gruesse

Aug 21, 11 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Clarke

Oh man, of course I haven't decided yet, but there is currently the largest, most colourful pro-con list that keeps growing every time I look at this thread... I just ended vacation, so this weeks task is sorting out what to apply to :) I'll get back to you on this, but sooo helpful! Thanks!

Sep 4, 11 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
aeroforma

Clarke- did you ever hear back from AA Wien? I emailed them with the same question- wondering if you had to have a bachelor's degree in architecture.  There seemed to be contradictory information on the website.  I am American but I am in Germany too for the fall and am wondering whether or not to show up for the admissions exams in Vienna in a couple of weeks, or just apply to US schools for next fall.  I got into an M.Arch for this fall in the US but I just couldn't justify taking out 150,000 dollars in loans.  I am pretty excited about die angewandte though as it seems to be the most comparable program to a US M.Arch (i.e. it's a first professional master's.) And the price is right! Do you know if there is another entrance exam for the spring semester or is it fall entry only..?

Sep 10, 11 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Clarke

They told me that my degree is probably not a "related field," but also said that "the preconditions for studying will be checked after the passed entrance exam." So I really have no idea what to think... It seems as though if you have a kickass portfolio and do well on the entrance exam, then they might let you in anyway, but it is also impossible to get a straight answer. I'm still strongly considering Angewandte, too, but when are the entrance exams for next fall?? I thought they were way later... 

Sep 11, 11 3:27 am  · 
 · 
aeroforma

I believe the upcoming admission exam later this month is for fall admission?  No idea when the exams for next fall would be... perhaps phase one would be in the summer sometime?

Sep 11, 11 10:06 am  · 
 · 
pido

@Clarke: no problem at all - something more I want to add: Prix stopped leading his studio and Asymptotes Hani Rashid took over (check Angewandte homepage)

(Also I just recently found out that theres only a M.Arch. at the Angewandte (before it was a 5 year diploma) - but you figured that out already ...)

Greets

Sep 11, 11 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
bugaluu

Does anyone have any insight on TU Graz? How does it fare in comparison with TU Wien?

May 28, 13 10:44 am  · 
 · 
ankit.savla

Hey guys,

Its nice to read to read so much about Die Angewandte, I have recently got an acceptance letter from them for their postgraduate Msc program in Urban Strategies (Urban Technique)

http://urbanstrategies.at/program/urban-technique/

Does anyone here have any reviews about this program?

I have even got through the AA- Emtech, SAC & The Berlage & have to choose amongst these :/. All of them are very highly ranked schools/programs and have great architects heading them. Personally, I find Die Angewandte, most experimental and exciting (but a bit too theoretical) of all these.

I already hold a license as an architect in India and have 2 and half yrs of work ex on me.

Do let me know if any of you, have any reviews about the MSc program,

Also, people looking forward to network can send me an e-mail on [email protected], would love to hear from you! :)

-Ankit

Jun 6, 13 5:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: