Archinect
anchor

wil alsop lecture

Queen Monkey

a friend of mine has just informed me that will alsop will be visiting his office to give a talk/discussion about hospital design and why it is so bad in the UK.
I really do not like his buildings let alone his attitude and ideas. Maybe this is just me but I just can't see his point, what he is on about.
So....we are in the process of putting together a document about his work, critising his buildings and his views.
Does anybody shatre the same opinion as us? Any questions that you have in mind that we ask him would be greatly appreciated!!

Feb 22, 05 8:26 am
stainB
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/story/0,3604,574089,00.html

another hospital design that i know of is the competition entry to st. thomas children hospital, London UK... the inverted L-shaped design is similar to peckham library (built) with painted zebra strips all over. yikes

...if i read correctly, he's coming to your friend's office and talk about hospital design?

Feb 22, 05 10:11 am  · 
 · 
doberman

I bet the guy's got quite a few things to say about bad hospital design as he himself doesn't do much to help the cause of better healthcare facilities in the UK... Did you have a chance to see the recently completed Queen Mary's school of dentistry in London? The same shitty see-thru glass box concept with floating blobs in the middle of it i.e the recipe for pretty much every single project he does... the funny part of it is that the glass they picked for the project is so reflective that you don't even see the inside of the box... so basically the project is just that: a reflective glass box. Still the guy thinks he's a fucking genius with an opinion about evrything even stuff he hasn't got a clue about. He came to my office once to give a lecture and came across as the most pedantic, obnoxious, arrogant prick i've ever met. I couldn't believe the bullshit i was listening to.

So to answer you post : NO it's not just you who dislikes him. And I hope that a lot of people realize how full of shit the guy is. I hope the document you're putting together will slag him off nice and proper as one thing's for sure, as long as people like him keep getting comission for hospitals in the UK, then hospital will certainly remain lousy buildings.

Feb 22, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 
bigness

good luck with it...the guy has an absolute, unshakeable belief in what he does. he actualy BELIEVES that his designs are the best possible solution for the briefs he works on, and is not an egomaniac, actually quite a nice guy... but i's like talking a religious fanatic out of going to church.

anyway, ask him why his office went bust and if good management is or not part of being a good architect.

Feb 22, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
stainB

but why is he giving CPD sessions about hospital design?

Feb 22, 05 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: