Archinect
anchor

debate !!

monali2015

Samsung ............... apple .......................Amazon 

i have a design a competition  i really want some  advice ....the  requirements are to design a store for one of those companies and the form and the concept play a major role and the thing is i am really torn  which of these companies has more design flexibility and which is one will make me stand out if i used it's history wright :

i might  be really wrong about it .........but this is what i think :

- amazon have a really great history and the concept behind the naming alone can  be interpreted in the form  

- apple in the other hand  has a huge rating in customer awareness  and is like a fancy brand and it's products  are  one of the most  visually appealing  products in the market which also will be a major inspiration in the concept -form design process 

- Samsung is just about the quality of the product which is amazing but won't  but any ideas on the table  and also their stores are a little boring  

i just wanna say my eyes is one the prize and i have to get high grade this semester  

Feb 23, 16 2:07 pm
Non Sequitur

Damn lazy students.

Easier to ask stranger than actually put in some effort and come up with something original on your own I guess.

Feb 23, 16 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
monali2015

how is that lazy ? asking about which company is better doesn't make the design !!! it doesn't have any thing to do with the designing process ,helping me choosing  the company won't make the plan or any thing related to that ..........it's not lazy it's just asking for advice .

Feb 23, 16 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

Whoosh

Hear that? It's the sound of intelligence passing by. Hard to recognize if you don't have any.

Feb 23, 16 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

If this is gonna be your design, it needs to be your concept.  Only by taking the deep dive into these three companies are you going to be able to figure out what is important to you, and from that, a concept that you give a damn about.  Someone else telling you their reasons may sound cool, but if you don't give a damn about the concept, it will show.  You have to buy in first.  ....And this is why coming to a discussion board with overly broad topics that aren't fleshed out gets generally shat upon. 

Feb 23, 16 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
proto

start researching

read, read, read

and then determine for your self what is best

Feb 23, 16 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

This isn't going to help much but my office has done work for two of the three companies you named. Neither of which allowed much design latitude. The more focused the brand the harder it can be to do design something outside the "box".  

but really its a school project so you can do anything you want so long as you justify it. Try writing yourself a narrative of why the client hired you, what they want, have and want to change that you can then design within. You have to set these fictional parameters. Which is why people are calling you lazy. You can literally do anything if you justify it first. This will not be the case once you start working. I would kill for some of that pie in the sky bullshit right now 

Feb 23, 16 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Design an Apple store and refuse to install a backdoor.

Feb 23, 16 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

apple=design nazis

samsung=copies apple design

amazon=no design at all

that should tell you something

Feb 23, 16 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like your competition is slightly outdated. But hey, I just saved you 5-10 minutes of research ... you're welcome.

Feb 23, 16 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

I think the real debate is whether the OP's education is worth anything at all much less whatever he is paying for it.

Feb 23, 16 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Do Apple, instead of the usual glass box they like so much do a giant occupiable statue of Steve jobs...enter the mouth, exit the anus.   It will be a modern day Sphinx.  Be sure to post it on here.  

Feb 23, 16 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

you're drowning on the names/branding.  collect datas based on site context or the competition brief.

read

http://www.amazon.com/Harvard-Design-School-Shopping-Project/dp/3822860476

and get a feel of what retail culture is.

then design.

Feb 24, 16 3:29 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Wow... I remember when students made their own decisions.

Feb 24, 16 3:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: