Archinect
anchor

habitat for humanity minus religion

anotherquestion

does anyone know of an organization like habitat, but with no religious affiliation?

Feb 21, 05 6:44 am
French

that would probably be architecture for humanity... ask cameron sinclair, I think he is in charge of this organization.

Feb 21, 05 6:53 am  · 
 · 
eu80

Some universities do design build projects for inner city or Mexican/South American communities.

You shouldn't be afraid of a group because of their religious affiliation though. Doing good, getting construction experience, what ever you are looking for, is valuable no matter who runs it.

Feb 21, 05 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

Architecture for humanity isn't quite the same as Habitat (but still a good organization!).

I stayed away from Habitat for Humanity for a long time because of the religion thing, and now I'm kicking myself. Everyone in the organization is really good about emphasizing that you don't have to be a Christian or religious at all to participate. From what I can tell, most people I build with seem to be Unitarians, and who even knows what they believe, right? Anyway, I'm an atheist and generally avoid all discussions of religion, but I felt comfortable enough to train to become a crew leader.

And man, the construction experience would have been worth it even if they had been a missionizing organization.

Feb 21, 05 9:15 am  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

>You shouldn't be afraid of a group because of their religious affiliation >though. Doing good, getting construction experience, what ever you are >looking for, is valuable no matter who runs it.

point taken, but:

if there's an alternative that doesn't attach religious beliefs to providing those in need with their tools for living... i'd prefer the non-affiliated org. the concern isn't my own experience with the .org, but whether or not those who receive the housing have to be religiously affiliated to have a roof overhead (is that the case?)

im still researching. not necessarily opposed to HFH.

Feb 21, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
scottaway

Check out Builders Without Borders.

Feb 21, 05 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

No, anyone in need can get Habitat housing, they can be atheists or any sort of non-Christian, too, it doesn't matter. All they have to do is show a few things 1) need (they have to be living in some place either substandard or beyond their financial means to pay for); 2) willingness to help build the house (if they are physically unable to do their sweat equity hours, Habitat works out other ways they can contribute); and 3) ability to pay back a no-interest mortgage (ie, they have to have some sort of job, but since it's a no-interest loan, it doesn't have to be a high-paying job).

Here's the official statement:
------------------------------------------
Families in need of decent shelter apply to local Habitat affiliates. The affiliate's family selection committee chooses homeowners based on their level of need, their willingness to become partners in the program and their ability to repay the no-interest loan. Every affiliate follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing the families who receive Habitat houses.
-------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure some of the people I've built for haven't been Christian. Some of have definitely been Catholic. Others I have no idea.

Hope this helps.

Feb 21, 05 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: