Archinect
anchor

Intern Architect Salary (Canada)

MinimalCrazy

What is a good salary to negotiate for an Intern Architect without masters? Relatively no experience only internships.

Feb 18, 16 5:04 pm
Non Sequitur

how can you be an "intern architect" without a M.Arch. Canadian IDP requires a Master's in order to qualify as intern.

Regardless of the "title" semantics, it varies on the location... Canada is wide.

Expect lower wages if in a larger urban centre (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) due to competition but a normal starting wage should be $40k/year without professional degree and no useful experience. 

Feb 18, 16 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

I know, I was confused as well but hey... thats what the contract says. So if I receive $40k/year in these large urban centers, there is no need to negotiate a higher fee?

Feb 18, 16 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There is always room to negotiate, but any higher and you'll be above entry-level technologist and they are normally more useful (read higher billable hours) than fresh BAS grads.

The annual salary is dependent also on the average work week (40hr, 50hrs, etc) and if OT is paid or not.

Feb 18, 16 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

In accordance with Hays Recruiting 2016 Salary Guide Canada, here are the rates that represent current salaries in Toronto/Vancouver:

Low

• Architect, $50,000-$75,000
  • Technologist: $40,000-$50,000
  • Job Captain: $50,000-$65,000
  • Project Manager: $70,000-$75,000
  • BIM Manager: $45,000-$65,000

Typical:

• Architect: $70,000-$90,000
  • Technologist: $55,000-$65,000
  • Job Captain: $65,000-85,000
  • Project Manager: $85,000-95,000
  • BIM Manager: $65,000-$85,000

The 2016 guide is only available to a select few in the industry, but the 2015 guide should be easy to find online. Please note that these salaries do not include benefits or bonuses. You can use the guide to leverage additional pay in your salary negotiations and just tell them that you have done you research, and you see this is where the industry pays. Generally their research covers the main stream market and not small residential architects/architecture firms.

There is a high category for the salary ranges, but I did not include it based off your experience. People with little to no experience start off in the low category and move up to the Average Category based off experience and performance. I find that this guide is pretty accurate. 

If you have further questions, I would pick up the phone and call your nearest Hays Recruitment Office.

Good luck.

Mar 19, 16 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: