Archinect
anchor

crisis management. [more on grad application ...i apologize]

i have just royally fuckd up what could have been a decent lib. arts undergrad transcript and gpa.
I am graduating in may and hoping to apply to schools in dec. '05. my gre's should be decent, tho' i haven't actually taken them yet. is doing work in the field, writing papers on my own, doing self-assigned portfolio work going to do anything to cover it up? I am scared here, i mean sweaty , desperate scared. any advice or comforting tales of the someone-you-knowed-failed-2-classes-but-made-it-anyway kind , would be much appreciated.

Feb 16, 05 5:25 pm
archetecton

i graduated with a 2.9, and while i haven't been accepted yet, i have been speaking with professors and others about it. 2.9 won't kill me. i have good GRE's and good art work. primarily, i think schools look for intelligent artists. showintelligence and show artistic talent within the requested materials set and you should be judged fairly. also, ask people at the schools about this problem in particular.

Feb 16, 05 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
c

thanks archetecton- i hoping it will prove as manageable as you make it seem. though it remains terrifying @ the moment- i'm whistling in the dark.

Feb 16, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

As has been said a lot of times on the forums: GPA and GRE are VERY MINOR factors in the decisions of most schools. If your GPA is above 3.0 - or even a little under - your chances will NOT be lessened because of either of these factors alone.
I've probably said before, I know, but: my GPA was about 3.2. I never once got a grade higher than B (not even B+) in a studio course. I got a C- in a 6-credit studio. It didn't matter. I got into almost every school to which I applied, including 2 of what were at the time the "top 3." And once I got there I found that there were others with even more checkered pasts :)

Relax. Stop being terrified. Concentrate on your portfolio. You don't need to "cover up" your GPA.

One thing about your post though: don't spend time writing papers (unless you enjoy writing papers.) Except for the 1 to 3 page "statement of purpose" that most schools require they're unlikely to read any other papers. Even your portfolio text should be kept to a minimum.

Good luck.

Feb 16, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: