Archinect
anchor

Paper or Plastic?

Alfalfa

hand drafting or computer drafting?

what is a better system of learning in a scholastic setting?

which prepares students for the furture?

Feb 16, 05 4:42 pm
Alfalfa

a weak topic i guess...

Feb 17, 05 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

it's the same topic as this that's why. and you chimed in on that post before you created this one.

Feb 17, 05 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Alfalfa

that topic pertained to the uses in the professional world. i am wondering how each medium is perferred in the edutional systems.

I attend NYIT. The institute is divided into three campuses. the one i attend uses hand drafting as the primary presentation technigue and the two others use computer presentations primarily. I feel i am at a disadvantage.

so i guess my question is, am i the only one who feels this way? how do other schools handle this situation?

Feb 18, 05 3:28 am  · 
 · 

as someone who has been out in the world for several years, i'd say that my personal preference is still for hand drafting BUT...i'm also finding it more and more necessary to do my work in AutoCad.

you must be proficient with both. no way around it.

Feb 18, 05 7:54 am  · 
 · 
e

sorry alfalfa, it seems like you are spliting hairs here. to answer the origanal second question first, the system that prepares a student for the future is probably best reflected in the trends of the real world as discussed in the other thread. you will find most embrace plastic. to answer your first question, for a scholastic setting, it doesn't much matter for your own personal use. both tools have their advantages. we all have preferences towards which tool works best for us. if you are planning to teach, you owe it to your students to teach both. to not teach plastic is a disservice to their education because plastic is so pervasive in the industry. i agree with steven. to be proficient at both will make you stronger.

Feb 18, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Alfalfa

thanks for the input

Feb 18, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
UrbanDesign

Haha, I started the other thread, but I see your question. I think hand drafting is taught extensively in arch school because there are concepts and "notions" that you can more easily grasp through hand drafting. It's not just plotting points and lines. It's not so much about presentation as much as understanding what you are creating or replicating. Hand drafting forces you to put more time into actually thinking about the object you are trying to portray.

Feb 18, 05 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: