Archinect
anchor

Earning IDP hours working as a research assistant?

LITS4FormZ

I was recently hired as a research assistant for the 2011-2012 academic year working directly under a professor who is a registered architect. The projects are all related to my professors practice and independent of anything going on in school. It is a paid position, 40 hours/week. However, my college is signing the paychecks. Reviewing the requirements, hours should qualify for workplace D if you aren't counting it as a firm since the university is technically the ones paying me. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? 

Jul 24, 11 9:22 pm

if the prof is a licensed architect, you seem to have met the minimum 30 hours/week threshold for IDP credits in setting D. Just make sure you log the hours appropriately for the research that you're engaged in. As a grad student, you are eligible before you graduate (but undergrads can't get credit). good luck and congrats on being hired.

Jul 25, 11 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Thank you very much Barry for your comments and clarification. I asked around my office as well and they seem to be convinced I'll be able to record any hours under worksetting D too. It should be a great way to knock out 1200 hours and be that much closer to licensure. 

Jul 26, 11 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

I have a question about this, to what "experience requirement" will you attribute these research hours? I am in a similar situation, doing research at an architecture firm, but the research is more general and I'm wondering how I might get some IDP out of this.

Aug 9, 12 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

On a side note, who is that professor blowing in the Dean's office to get a full-time RA for his professional practice work?  That is a great perk!

Aug 9, 12 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

In the end I was able to qualify under "Worksetting A" so I filled in the hours accordingly. I put hours towards everything in Categories A, B and D. 

Aug 9, 12 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: