Archinect
anchor

amsterdam?

justavisual

going to amsterdam in march...any recommendations on things to see/do while im there...?

...what about things outside the city?

thanks!

Feb 15, 05 1:00 am
Bula

You obviously mean besides exploring the RLD, taste testing the ughmm..coffee shops, visiting the 1 million+ sex shops/shows/museums, and brushing off every 10' the endless crack, x, herion street dealers...

Get a cycle and explore on your own pace. Lot's to see.

Feb 15, 05 1:11 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Check out the Borneo Sporenbug urban waterfront development by West 8. It includes houses by MVRDV among others. The Van Gogh Museum was pretty nice - both the building itself and the artwork within. Anne Frank house was interesting, as was the Heineken Brewery tour. It's good not to focus purely on seeing only the arch sites. Beautiful city - I agree with the above poster about renting a bike and just exploring on your own. Wish I could go back there.

Feb 15, 05 1:40 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Oops, I mean Sporenburg.

Feb 15, 05 1:40 am  · 
 · 
gwizz

check out the site of ARCAM, the site of architectuurcentrum amsterdam, they have a pretty nice overview of thing to see in and around amsterdam. plus they organize architecture sightseeing tours around the city or DIY architecture tour guides. best of all is the building they reside in by rene van zuuk. a must see...
http://www.arcam.nl/index.lhtml?lang=uk&ref=architectuurgids&sub=kaart

Feb 15, 05 7:29 am  · 
 · 
bigness

rent a bike. do it, no other way to see it. amazing place!

Feb 15, 05 8:58 am  · 
 · 
dasein

Silodam, ARCAM, Wozoco. Really do not miss the Eastern Islands (Borneo, Java, etc) walking through this area is my favorite architectural memory.

Feb 15, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

There's a street on the Eastern Islands where the pattern master plan was done by West8, but each townhouse is uniquely designed. Its called Scheepstimmerstraat. There are some pretty cool houses there.

Rent a bike and head north across the polders.

Het Scheep by Michel De Klerk, expressionist brickwork from early 20th century.

Feb 15, 05 9:36 am  · 
 · 
mwad

Is Ijburg under construction yet? When I worked there several years back every architect in town was working on their block. Its going to be the next Borneo Islands.

Feb 15, 05 9:53 am  · 
 · 
a-f

All the above proposals are good, here are some more:

Westerpark if the weather is good - solid public space design by Kathryn Gustafson.

Café Ijsbreker - my favourite café with a brilliant view of the Amstel river - on the other side you might be able to see the groovy 70's office block Rivierstaete by Hugh Maaskant.

Architectura & Natura - architecture bookshop in the Jordaan part of Amsterdam.

Europarking - spectacular parking building by Piet Zanstra in the west part of Amsterdam (70's project as well).

Fietsenstalling - bicycle parking structure at the central station by VMX.

Lloyd Hotel - recent MVRDV renovation project.

...otherwise go to the university campus Uithof in Utrecht during a weekday. Most famous Dutch architects concentrated in one small area (Koolhaas, Mecanoo, Arets, NL, Neutelings & Riedijk etc.).

Feb 15, 05 10:05 am  · 
 · 
a-f

mwad:

IJBurg is slowly under construction. Economic instability has delayed most of the projects a few years two or three times already. I doubt that it's going to be "the next Borneo Islands". Location, typologies and layout is completely different.

Feb 15, 05 10:08 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

Dont miss Silodam.

Feb 15, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 
mwad

I think it will still be pretty interesting...basically every block is by a different prominent Dutch architect. So there will be a pretty interesting mix of architecture. There is quite a range of typologies. My firm was working on both a typically housing block but also was collaborating on a dock layout for anchored boat houses. I havent looked at the masterplan in quite some time, did it feature the type of monument buildings as the Borneo plan: like the Architecten CIE Whale, the Neutlings Tower, and the Koolhof Block on KNSM laan.

The office I worked at was on KSNM laan and after working there the Diener and Diener housing block on KNSM became my favorite project on the isles.

By the way, who did the masterplan for Ijburg?I can't remember.

Oh yeah, did anyone go one the tours of Silodam right before it opened? They had this open house weekend which gave you a chance to tour a couple dozen of the units. I like the lower ones where the diagonal concrete beams passed through the space. Also the top level ones with the courtyard in the middle of the units. The hallways kind of made me feel sick and disoriented though.

Feb 15, 05 10:29 am  · 
 · 
kaf

'NeMo,' the science center by Renzo Piano

Feb 15, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
higgsARCH

van gogh museum, get some irish stew, and go to the "bulldog" coffeehouse.... oh yeah watch out for the whores

Feb 15, 05 11:17 am  · 
 · 
higgsARCH

brussels isn't far, maybe 2 hours

Feb 15, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 
VanWinkle

DON'T go to the bulldog, it's a franchise coffeeshop, go to a smaller one with a better menu and selection. The Bulldog is for tourists.

Feb 15, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Pete Dawson

The Netherlands is a fairly small country. I would definitely reccomend day trips to Delft and Utrect. TU Delft Library Mecanoo. Rotterdam is a little further you might want to spend the night if you go. There is a lot to see in Rotterdam. Also if you are not crazy about the accomodations in Amsterdam (many really dirty hotels in the city) and want a good place to stay.. Haarlem is about 10 minutes away on the train. Last train leaves around 2am.

Feb 15, 05 11:24 am  · 
 · 
higgsARCH

van winkle can van suck my balls

Feb 15, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 
a-f

For eating I'd recommend:

de Kas: five course menu, located in an active greenhouse, ecological, great service, fantastic food

Café de Bern: real swiss fondue, book a day in advance, rough, gezellig

de Zotte: real steaks, great selection of beer

Zeezicht: classic Dutch applepie

de Bakker: located on the horrible Warmoesstraat, best bread of Amsterdam

Luxembourg: dark space but nice selection of lighter foods, try the "bittergarnituur" here

Feb 15, 05 11:53 am  · 
 · 
VanWinkle

thanks higgins

Feb 15, 05 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
higgsARCH

you are welcome

Feb 15, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

i will second pete dawsons comments. hey pete have you been there before? its funny all the places you mentioned i went to last summer. the only things you missed were the coffee shops, did you FORGET b/c theres no way you missed that sweet smell in the streets.

The city i learned from the most was rotterdam. it has some decent coffee shops too! NIEUWE BINNENWEG has about 5 or 6. and WITTE DE WITHSTRAAT had a couple. also in delft there was a coffee shop just as you get to the train station. then i made my own shop on top of the library. i remember utrect having one but we did not stay there to long. and harleem definatly had a couple, and suprisingly they had a smart shop too! (fungus) what ever you do - dont take any fungus or greens on a train that might leave the the NL. (bad experience with a dog)(i think he liked me-he thought he was a lap dog) But good thing the NL police are nice. oh and dont forget the schroder house in utrect-the entire utrect university--- educatorium--- arcam and nemo were ok---theatre square was sweet---- kunsthal--ben van berkels erasmus bridge---kubhouses-----spangen quarter----the netherlands architecture institute (NAi)---

Feb 16, 05 12:02 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

silodam

Feb 16, 05 12:07 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

check out almere - its an up and coming city north east of amsterdam probobly like 15 mins on a train. Rem koolhaas designed the downtown city centre- it might still be in the process of being built. soon to be the third largest city in the NL

Feb 16, 05 12:11 am  · 
 · 
ap

also don't miss Rem's masterpiece the Byzantium at the entrance of Vondel park in A'dam!

ap

Feb 16, 05 10:04 am  · 
 · 
mwad

I hope thats sarcasm about the Byzantium being a 'masterpiece'.

Feb 16, 05 10:07 am  · 
 · 
ap

by the way, there's cheap accomodation on a big youth hostel (w.single and doubble rooms) in Vondel park too (close enough to the city center)

ap

Feb 16, 05 10:07 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

justavisual - I'll be chillin here for easter - it's worth the walk out to the suburbs.

Greenhouse

Feb 16, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

yep im in amsterdam from march 20-25...or maybe mar 18-25 i havent decided yet

ap...whats the name of that hostel?

Feb 16, 05 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

can well reccomend De Kas- food was great- yes lots of architecture that is good too- i think mostly covered here, plus if you do go to Rotterdan, only an hour away on the train there is some great architecture there- only an hour on the train.

BUT
best of all in Amsterdam is Jimmy Woo's at the weekend- its a fantastic club that is like being in a 3-D graphic equalizer and full of beautiful people
very good crowd.

Feb 20, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: