Archinect
anchor

caving in to pc pressure

bigness

so, time has finally come to cave in, learn all the industry standard softwares that i have so skillfully avoided so far.

I will get a pc to use together with my beloved powerbook.

I need a machine that can handle rhino and 3ds max. i don't think i will be doing massive renderings, so i don't need an incredibly powerful machine. i also don't have the money to pay for it.

what would the minimum specs be?

which chipset is better, amd or pentium?

which graphics card would you suggest? (please specify if ati or nv and which chip)

Ah, i can hear the laughters of the pc people...

thanks folks!

Feb 14, 05 1:10 pm
Tectonic

lol

Feb 14, 05 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

along those lines, i was thinking of getting a kick ass mini mac to go along with my pc, any problems? am i wasting my time?

Feb 14, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

that mini mac is a joke...remember that fiasco called the cube...well apple revisited it.

I was a longtime Mac user as a graphic designer and upon returning to school for arch I sold my powerbook and was able to afford a custom, made by me, PC desktop and a pc laptop...the price savings is amazing...and I don't regret the 'switch' one bit.

Feb 14, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

dependswhat you want to use it for...are those things g5? if so, go for it. shitloads of ram suggested

Feb 14, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

the minis are g4's...yawn.

Feb 14, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Toshiba M45 S331 rocks!
Feb 14, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

poczatec...an intel 64 megabyte shared memory graphics card? it rocks?

aaaaaah....shut it.

anyways, it wasn't my intention to start a post for you to discuss which platform is better, i kinda needed help...

does anyone have any relevant comments to make?

Feb 15, 05 8:49 am  · 
 · 
Frit

" i don't need an incredibly powerful machine. i also don't have the money to pay for it."

"poczatec...an intel 64 megabyte shared memory graphics card? it rocks?

aaaaaah....shut it."

Make up your mind.

Feb 15, 05 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
joe

go to the maximumpc message boards, or some 3d boards and look there. cgtalk, etc..

Feb 15, 05 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
LaTorpilleRose

"kick ass mini mac"

Surely you're kidding.

Feb 15, 05 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Kai

the ati cards have some problems with openGL commands which programs like sketchup use a lot of

Feb 15, 05 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

frit, there is a lot of scope between a shared memory graphics card (10$10)and a professional ati/nv with 256 of dedicated memory ($300)...there are options in the middle, that's what i am enquiring about...happy now? do you go around archinect looking for posts to criticise? damn the bitterness, on both our parts.

Kai...does rhino uses opengl right? better stick to the NVchipset then...

KAI and JOE: thanks, the first bits of useful advice in 11 posts

Feb 16, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Dick,
Sorry man, just sharing a positive personal experience with ya.
More than likely it's all the computer you will ever need, and the price is right. "don't think i will be doing massive renderings, so i don't need an incredibly powerful machine. i also don't have the money to pay for it".
Good luck.

Feb 16, 05 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Rhino does indeed use openGL, I usually get Dell 8300's for my office. For around $1000 you can get enough to handle Rhino. Jus tmake sure you get a machine with an actual graphics card rather than the "integrated" graphics thing.

Feb 16, 05 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

It sucks, and I don't have too much experience yet, but you may need to look into an ATI Fire GL or a NVidia Quadro. They are expensive, but many software packages "require" them. My desktop has a Quadro FX 1100 and it is much more stable than the people who bought "consumer" cards. I know software like Maya says that they don't support anything other than FireGL and Quadro. Think about room to grow too. You always get screwed when you skimp. That said, my laptop with an ATI 9600 does fairly well with Rhino, but the desktop destroys it even when doing simple renders. Agreed, avoid integrated like the plague. Apparently they chug on large spread sheets.

My specs are:
Laptop:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
764 MB RAM
ATI 9600 w/64MB

Desktop:
AMD 2x Opteron 244 (clock 1.8 GHz, benchmarks like a Xeon 3.06GHz)
2 GB RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 1100 with 128 MB RAM

Feb 16, 05 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: