Archinect
anchor

Peter Keating

4arch

does your office or school have a Peter Keating type? discuss...

Feb 14, 05 12:24 pm
lush

I cant think of anyone I studied with being very peter keating like, but that guy wuth the 'studying abroad' thead certainly seems like a good candidate!

Feb 14, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

that book is directly related to the building, then deflation, then rebuilding of my ego...damn you howard, damn you...

Feb 14, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my mother made me become an architect when all i wanted to do was SING!!!!

Feb 14, 05 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

lush - come on whats wrong with you

Feb 14, 05 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

This whole Howard Roark vs. Peter Keating thing is stupid.

You either are in it for Architecture or you're either in it for fame and glory. Or your architecture brings you fame and glory. Or youre just a whore that makes architecture for rich people, ahem Phillip Johnson. Everyone is different.

Feb 14, 05 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Thanks for clearing that up, James. No more posts necessary now...

Feb 14, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
wyoming81

I am pretty sure that I fullfill that requirements of Peter Keating. Therefore my answer would have to be yes.

Feb 15, 05 1:22 am  · 
 · 
joek

Cue dumb question sorry? who is peter keating. I am a keating but not peter.

Feb 15, 05 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
too degrading

Elsworth Toohey... a god!

Feb 16, 05 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
too degrading

So many great profiles from the novel that people just won't stop yapping about:

Mike -
A tough, phenomenally ugly electrician who admires talent in any form. He instantly recognizes Roark’s ability and becomes a staple on the construction sites of the buildings Roark designs.

Feb 16, 05 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

joek--I think you have to give your architecture degree back. Sorry.

Feb 17, 05 8:22 am  · 
 · 
VanWinkle

snjr - good one! high five! way to criticize him for asking a question. let's make sure he gives his degree back! that was so funny. you are the coolest guy around. i wish i could be you.

Feb 17, 05 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

Van--relax. It was a joke. But hey, high five! Way to make an assumption about my gender! That was so funny, you wanting to be a woman.

joek--Peter Keating is a character in Ayn Rand's _Fountainhead_. Sorry for having fun at your expense.

The question actually should have been "Who is John Galt?" though.

Feb 17, 05 9:05 am  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

do people still read ayn rand?

Feb 17, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

Israel Kandarian--I honestly didn't think anyone did, or maybe I just thought that anyone who read her didn't really buy into her Objectivist philosophy. A few months ago, though, a friend of mine told her that her therapist recommended she read Ayn Rand because she was a good role model.

Feb 17, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually joek should be given an award for NOT knowing who peter keating is(just google next time dude) dean keating is kaiser soze though. i see quite a few peeps reading ms rand.

Feb 17, 05 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
joek

hey relax guys, jokes are ok. And since I don't have an architecture degree to give back, I don't mind the dumb comments from wiseass architects. And Van's response did make me smile.

thanks for the (what I assume is) serious reply to my question, I will go away and learn to be like you guys. haha.

Feb 17, 05 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
losdogedog

Wasnt this guy married to the architect lady on Family Ties

Feb 17, 05 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

Sorry, joek, I'm not even an architect, just a wiseass, I guess.

Feb 17, 05 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
joek

haha! you wiseass! I did my homework and it turns out I have nothing in common with Peter Keating except my surname.

Feb 17, 05 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

quote = vado retro

my mother made me become an architect when all i wanted to do was SING!!!!

:lol:

that literally made me laugh out loud!! :D

thanks @'~

Feb 18, 05 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: