Archinect
anchor

help me about my concept

thexm

Hi, I am really stuck to my design concept which is urban interweaving. I am designing the entry(including a big flow of circulation of subway, commuter people, entry of stadium, and offices of a complex building to represent urban interweaving for surrouding area. I chose this concept because a site has lots of mutl layers such as subway, commuter rail, highway, and pedestrian way. Also, lots of spots of the surrounding area are still under construction. Anyone can give me some ideas about developing that idea or precedens regarding this concept.. Thanks alot!

Feb 11, 05 6:30 pm
shanec

What you've got is a 'topic'... you need to formulate your own "design concept" based on that topic (you're calling it "urban interweaving" ... rem called it "cross-programming"... developers call it "mixed-use"). It's really a more of a phenomenon related to spatial proximity in the city than it is a 'designed' thing: different stuff is close together so a sometimes-strange intermixing happens as a result.

In order to generate your 'concept' you might want to thing about two things together:

1)the physical stuff: stairs, escalators, cafe counters, cafe tables, columns, handrails, newstands, etc...

2)the people stuff: how could you begin to classify the different people who will pass through this space in a new way that would allow you to desing THIS ONE SPACE for all of them at the same time? Try not to label them 'commuters' 'workers' 'fans' etc., but rather 'wait-ers' 'walkers' 'eaters', etc... also consider how the TIME of the spaces use may have more sway on the nature of the space (and thusly the nature of your design) than do the difference in users.

Just suggestions... my damn rendering is taking forever so I've got the time!

Hope that was helpful.

Focus on finding a way

Feb 11, 05 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
shanec

umm... that "focus on finding a way" at the end was an orphaned peice of text from something else... I'm not getting all zen on you. sorry. This blog really needs an edit function!

Feb 11, 05 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
blah

What if you could generate behavior using a piece of software that generates complex systems behavior. The people gathering cold be the emergent phenomena out of all of the individual actors' behavior. These nodes could become the places where density and connections are the greatest. This eliminates things like zoning and planning.

Think of it: emergent behavior eliminates collective and/or top-down planning. Ayn Rand would have loved this one! ;-)

Good luck!

Wm

Feb 11, 05 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

here's your concept: urban estuary. now just design it baby...good luck

Feb 12, 05 12:04 am  · 
 · 
e909

1+1 =

different stuff is close together so a sometimes-strange intermixing happens as a result

urban estuary

daycare and freeway exit. make it work.

Feb 12, 05 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
smthn

steven holl's interweaving.. that might help for you! good luck

Feb 13, 05 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

or you could incorporate a weaving theme... spiderman or crochet perhaps

Feb 13, 05 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
e909

been done
http://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=spiderman+crochet

Feb 20, 05 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: