Archinect
anchor

while waiting...

taboho

for those of you applying to grad schools, what are you in the meantime? have any of you quit your jobs yet? and have you made any plans on how you will move your stuff to your new school, wherever that may be?

this might be a good chance to exchange some info on how to sell your stuff, what stuff to keep and what to burn, how you're moving your car, etc...

Feb 11, 05 1:57 pm
meversusyou

i'm in the market for a decent couch.

Feb 11, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

burn your models...ceremoniously! Buh hahh hah

Feb 11, 05 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

i'm sure some models will be lit up in flames, but does anyone have serious recommendations for the rare ones i want to keep but have no space to store? shipping fragile plexi models just seems precarious. are most of you just throwing away your models?

Feb 11, 05 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
higgsARCH

try your parents house, they would love to put a model up and explain to their friends how proud they are of their some day architect son/daughter

Feb 11, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

I am currently redoing kitchen cabinets and getting my house ready to sell...not fun.

Feb 11, 05 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
bzkr

tinydancer,

I'm doing the same thing. It sucks. I usually like doing projects like this but I"m rushed, trying to be dirt cheap because we're not going to have any money for like the next 4 - 10 years.

Are you going to buy where you move to for school or just rent?

Feb 14, 05 9:47 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

if you are taking out any loans make sure that your loaner didnt screw it up. happened to me and i had no caish for a semester.

Feb 14, 05 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

A lot of this depends on which school I head to. Two are in warm climates and two others are in New England.

I'm waiting it out because I don't know if I should keep summer or winter clothes, keep the bmw coupe or the camaro convertible, or sell both if it's NYC.

However, some things will be hitting EBAY if I ever find the time. Others are slowly being given away to friends/family. My sofa/loveseat are not going to make the move, but bedroom set will. I'm currently building end tables that will come apart and be shipable flat, and same is true for a coffee table design I'm contemplating. New sofa will be ordered and shipped directly to wherever I move to.... I wanted to buy it a year ago but it just didn't make any sense with the big move coming up. I found it online so it really doesn't matter where they ship to.

Other than that I've been spending time visiting friends who I won't be around this time next year, and writing an article that I've wanted to write for a long time. The app process is over, but it's still really busy.

Quit my job? Are you kidding? I'm trying to put in more hours. There's a good half a year before quitting will be necessary. They've asked me to open a new division in the company and I'm actually considering it. I'm not slowing down at all. Full steam ahead!

Feb 14, 05 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

dang. Why is it that I always type so much? Sorry for polluting the page with meandering ramblings.

Feb 14, 05 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Tim New York isn't in a warm climate or New England.

My advice: if you have an undergrad background in architecture make sure to take all your old course notes, books, etc. with you! They will all be useful again.

Feb 14, 05 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

Yes, but Texas and socal are.... those are the tropical options... the two cold ones are in the New England states.

Feb 15, 05 12:21 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

ok...
But I meant that NYC has more or less the same climate as the M.Arch options in the New England states. The only New England M.Archs as far as I'm aware are Yale, U. of Hartford, GSD, MIT, BAC. All have pretty similar climates to NYC (which of course is not in a New England state.) If you end up in any of these places DO keep the summer clothes - all are "cold" in winter but routinely approach 100 a few times per summer.

Feb 15, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

Tim- you'll need a sweater in the AM and shorts for the PM in Texas-currently residing there. One day it's 30 and then today it's 80! You figure it out.
bzkr- trying to get everything done on house to sell-cheap! Not sure if buying or renting in future-depends on the city! Some are more expensive than others!
I hate this not knowing anything! It's really hard to figure things out.

Feb 15, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
nervoussystem

working on graduating college

Feb 16, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

Same here on the living situation. I'm having work done to my house that I hope and pray will be done by the time I need to sell. The project has taken over a year already because of contractor problems... argh! But oh well.

I haven't begun to get rid of the huge amount of stuff I have collected over the last 10 years. I'm dreading it. I will have a huge yard sale and a lot of my camera equipment will have to go...

I hope to be able to afford something to buy in my new city but it's not going to happen in Boston, that's for sure! My cousin is a financial adviser making a handful of cash and he can barely afford an apartment. He would be living in a mansion in St. Louis on his salary. Sheesh.

Marc

Feb 16, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

The real answer to the question, though, is that I'm doing what I always do. Working, doing art projects on the side, going to shows, etc. I don't have time to think about my apps unless I happen to be reading archinect (I should have stayed away!).

Feb 16, 05 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: