Archinect
anchor

Architects not aristocrats

higgsARCH

What happened to Architects being aristocrats, the upper crust of society, a la "the fountainhead". When I first became interested in Architecture, i thought i would be rich and famous, and live in a mansion somewhere where i would through huge masquerade balls.

Feb 11, 05 11:41 am
stephanie

WHAT DREAMWORLD HAVE YOU BEEN LIVING IN?

Feb 11, 05 11:46 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra
Feb 11, 05 11:57 am  · 
 · 
higgsARCH

NICE BUS

Feb 11, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
e

don't a lot of well known architects come from money >> eisenman, meier, foster, etc?

Feb 11, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

foster didn't come from money
so many architects have been bankrupt too many times to even get a nod from the govt (Nouvel)

The ones that are aristocratic have always been the ones of novel and fiction - not showing the real ones that work.

Feb 11, 05 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

is that the dream were all the aristocrats dress up in masks and do bad things to naked women?

Feb 11, 05 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
ferplexion

become a developer.

Feb 11, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Build your own boat.

Feb 11, 05 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
e909

your own planet

Feb 12, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

comming FROM isn't the same as going TO.

Feb 13, 05 12:12 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

the fountainhead has more to do with facisism than architecture.

Feb 13, 05 12:13 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

architecture IS a masquerade ball.

Feb 13, 05 9:11 am  · 
 · 
UrbanDesign

haha, the main character in White Noise is an architect and he lives in an ocean front mansion, riiggghhhttttt.

Feb 13, 05 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Most of the aristocrat architects I know live quite modestly. They smoke pot and live in owner-design-build remodel projects that never come to completion.

Feb 13, 05 9:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: