Archinect
anchor

if you think the Christo's aren't getting paid...

curt clay

check this...

"Thank you for writing about Christo and Jeanne-Claude's art. The works are as those on the page http://chritsojeanneclaude.net/tg.html

Preparatory art for The Gates is available only as originals. There are no prints editions published for major works, such as The Gates. Only original works: drawings and collage.

Originals are shown to collectors by Christo and Jeanne-Claude and range in price from US$30,000 to US$600,000. I can put you in touch with them if you like.

Best regards"

30G's to 600G's per painting??? And he has been painting this idea since 1979????

you do the math...

Feb 9, 05 1:51 pm
David Cuthbert

I also read that only one photographer was legally allowed to take pix of his mountain thread way back then, and the price was in 6 figures. There is always a way to feed the kids

Feb 9, 05 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

part of the money from the sale of their original drawings and collages funds the planning and realization of the projects themselves - no small chuck of change, i'm sure.

and if they make a lot anyway - are you surprised? annoyed? after all, they ARE world-renowned and in the mature part of their careers.

good for them.

Feb 9, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

Sorry but what exactly is wrong with being paid for the work you do??? they're renowned artists, their stuff is fantastic, they surely deserve the dough the make. i can think of more ourageous things than this one...

Feb 9, 05 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, i don't get what's wrong with it either. a little jealous curtclay?

Feb 9, 05 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i'm pretty sure christo and jc fund the majority of their projects..
the gates has a price tag of something like 20 million...there
are no tickets..no way of charging people to see them..and it's
only up for 2-3 weeks...this is public art at a grand scale...that
will attract people to nyc...and i don't believe it costs the city or
its taxpayers anything...

so i'll reiterate...what's the problem with world renowned artists
selling paintings for between 30-60k? if anything that's actually
sorta cheap...

Feb 9, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

from 'the gates' official website...a couple things of interest

"As Christo and Jeanne-Claude have always done for their previous projects, The Gates will be entirely financed by the artists through C.V.J. Corp, (Jeanne-Claude Javacheff, President) with the sale of studies, preparatory drawings and collages, scale models, earlier works of the fifties and sixties, and original lithographs on other subjects.

The artists do not accept sponsorship or donations.
Can I volunteer to help with The Gates?
There are never any volunteers at any Christo and Jeanne-Claude artworks. Everyone is a paid worker. The exception was Jeanne-Claude's late mother who used a parent's prerogative to refuse payment.

Paying workers is very much a part of Christo and Jeanne-Claude's aesthetic. (See the Frequent Questions section of the web site.) However, there are volunteer positions available with the Park and The City of New York.

What are the other products, who gets the money from them?
Christo and Jeanne-Claude have donated all merchandising rights from The Gates to Nurture New York's Nature (associated with the Carriage House Center for Global Issues Foundation), and to The Central Park Conservancy.

Hand-signed posters of The Gates are sold by NNYN. Christo and Jeanne-Claude gave the rights to sell posters as a part of this gift. All the funds go to NNYN. Click here to see their web site.

Christo and Jeanne-Claude do not receive any revenue whatever from the sales of any article based on this gift of posters and merchandising rights."

Feb 9, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

The best paid gig I’ve ever had was working for an artist. This whole starving to death deal is strictly an architect thing.

Art’s more of a high risk, high return investment where as architecture is just a bad deal.

Feb 10, 05 1:05 am  · 
 · 
curt clay

a little jealousy?? how could you possibly decipher those intentions from my word above? I'm not jealous at all... I can't wait to see it!.

I've just read a couple of articles and hear people talking in other threads and boards about how honorable it is that these artists are coming out of their own pocket 20 million to do this work of art.... there is no mention of the profitability of such an excersice...

just pointing out the other side of the coin. thats all

Feb 10, 05 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
e

sorry if i misundersood you curtclay, but i'm not the only person who decipher/understood you to be a little put off by the price tag of their originals when you say >> ?30G's to 600G's per painting??? And he has been painting this idea since 1979???? you do the math..." your initial words do not reflect the honor that you now speak of.

Feb 10, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

ahhh interpretation

meaning

truth

translation

understanding

language..

I think I'll pick up that Quine book I've been meaning to get. :)

Feb 10, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: