Archinect
anchor

Futurist / Brutalist

For some time now I've been intrigued by the contrast between this modernist masterpiece

and this brutalist construction.

Similar constructions with near opposite effects. Maybe the watered down design process of the latter prevented it from being as purely executed as the former, which would arguably have made a lovely cathedral?

Dec 3, 15 5:41 pm
chigurh

your out of context photo of nervi's church in SF does not do it justice at all.

brutalism is awesome so is modernism - interesting choice of photo for the TWA terminal as well - cause there were some hokey ass futurist finishes and details in that also.

Dec 3, 15 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Have a look at the barbican center.

Dec 3, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

I think that the style of the time shifted from soaring fluid forms to angular and visually heavier forms.

Dec 3, 15 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Haven't you heard?  We're not supposed to make brutalism feel bad anymore by using such a negative term.

Great photos above, btw.

Dec 3, 15 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

A different expression of infinity, interesting.

Dec 3, 15 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

Citizen, Its not about making "Brutalism feel bad". Its about making the Crate and Barrel shopping, craft beer drinking, Pinteresters who think that Brutalism is referring to brutality, feel more comfortable. 

Dec 3, 15 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

Barbican doesn't relate to the soaring aspect of these forms.

I think the difference has to do with process. Saarinen individually designed the terminal, whereas St. Mary's was a collaborative effort among five architects. Or maybe they were doing a Magnificent Seven remake of Tange's cathedral in Toyko? Too many cooks ... 

Dec 3, 15 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

Miles, not looking for a fight, trying to understand.

Isn't the TWA a gateway in a modern sense? If that is what you meant by Barbican. 

Dec 3, 15 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

I was responding to archiwutm8, what makes you think I'm looking for a fight?

Dec 3, 15 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

my mistake, sorry.

Dec 3, 15 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Both great. More more more!

Dec 3, 15 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Point taken, davvid.

And I love the Barbican, though it's not comparable to the form's Miles posted.

Dec 3, 15 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

After looking at the TWA terminal (commissioned 1955, completed 1962), one has to  reconsider - if they haven't already - Shoemuncher's manifesto. 

This is not where I was headed with this thread but it came up for me in Olaf's thread parametric details?

Dec 4, 15 9:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: