Archinect
anchor

Acoustic Modelling Software?

I was a a lecture given my some Kahn buff from MIT and he had made 3d recreations of Kahn's never-built designs--his point of pride was the light, but many of structures were synagogues meant to deliver sermons to an audience. It made me wonder if software that will show a map of how sound would behave in a theoretical space exists. Anyone know of such software?

Feb 8, 05 1:46 pm
kylemiller

acoustic 2d

Feb 8, 05 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

is there an acoustic 3d?

Feb 8, 05 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

BOSE has such a modelling program; I doubt if they offer it for sale. I saw a demo of it and was very impressed because the output of the model is wired into a small-scale surround setup that replicates the expected acoustics.

Feb 8, 05 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

Really? You mean if you gave it coordinates and said "if I sat here, how would this CD played from (x,y,z) sound?" and it would play it?

Feb 8, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

exactly.

Feb 8, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

why don't they sell it? architects need it.

BOSE is the best corporation in the world.

Feb 8, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

where did you see a demo? is it at mit?

Feb 8, 05 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

go to BOSE.com and search for "auditioner." I noticed that they have some modeler downloads - perhaps you can get the program???

Feb 8, 05 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Organic9

Try going to this site. The Welsh School of architecture acoustical research. they have software downloads. www.squ1.com If this doesn't work. Google 'Square One Acoustic Research'

Feb 8, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

My job is in architectural acoustic design.

There is no substitute for good old fashioned space calculations and extrapolations using material coefficients. Buy some architectural acoustics books and read up.

That said, our sound system engineer (not acoustics; artificial amplification) uses a program called EASE, made by a company in Germany -- I think Berlin. This program aids determines sound deflections, focus points, etc. It will not tell you where or how much absorption/diffusion you need within the room.

I have become aware that RPG, manufacturer of acoustic diffusers, absorbers, etc sells modeling software. I know nothing about their program, but I will say this, that I am sure that it doesn't pump out instant answers; even if it does, it would be labor intensive just to create the model. I believe their website is www.rpginc.com, if not, just google it.

Again, there is no substitute for some good old-fashioned "book-lernin"

Feb 8, 05 9:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: