Archinect
anchor

California Construction Industry

ciaobeetch

I am interested in possibly re-locating from the east coast to either LA/San Fran areas and am looking for tips from anyone out there. I am ultimately interested in commercial/mixed-use development, but at the time I am a project manager for a gc, and would like to find a similar position and continue from there. I realize most of you are on the design side of the industry, but thought that there may be other contractors/developers on these boards or architects who are in tune with the market. What is the job market like for commercial or residential builders? What is the overall market and what are the expected trends? Have you seen an increase or decrease in project flow? Etc...Thanks for all your time...

Feb 7, 05 11:02 am
R.A. Rudolph

We are a very small design/build operation, so I don't know if our experience is helpful, but... things are still going strong - permit approval in Los Angeles was up 25% I think from last year. Contractors seem to be looking for people (see for example the job offer from RAC Design/Build on the listing - they are friends of ours and were recently looking for someone).
I personally think the home remodel market (on the small end) will slow down because construction costs have gone up so much for a few years now (recent article in the LA Times indicated a 30% increase or so just in 2004) - but for larger projects I do not think the pace will slow anytime soon.
I would think if you have some experience and especially an architecture background you will not have trouble finding a job in Los Angeles. Not sure about the Bay Area - the market had slowed down a lot but it may be picking up. My architect friends up there seem to have no problem getting jobs.

Feb 7, 05 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
tlmII

Los Angeles is really hot right now and if you have gc experience you will have no trouble finding a job that pays well. I work for a gc that does mostly museum, religious, civic work right now but the high end retail and office space is also picking up. If you are interested in more email me and I can send you a link for the company I work for. I know we are recruiting. There is a lot of private negoatiated work going on which we are involved in. Also, the LA Unified School District currently has the largest public works program in the US right now with over $11 billion. So there are a lot of opportunities. Good luck.

Feb 7, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
ciaobeetch

Thanks, R.A. & tlmII, I appreciate your time and insight. tlmII, I will forward my email...thanks

Feb 8, 05 9:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: