Archinect
anchor

Considering a change in career. Help!

lalu

Hi archinecters,

I am a BArch student in a top 10 program, currently half way through. Recently I've been thinking, if you are not good at talking about your project, would you do poorly as an architect?

For the past few years, in combination of not getting enough sleep before reviews and also working a part time job, I struggle at times of what to say at reviews. I blank out alot, and I stumble with words. Is this a sign that architecture is not for me? However, the one review I did prepare my talk thoroughly, I did very well. Is it just my unpreparedness?

Other careers with potential interests are journalist, author, film maker/director, and real estate. 

Thanks!

Nov 13, 15 12:06 pm
senjohnblutarsky

If you plan to be the person who interacts with clients, you need to work on your presentation skills. 

There are plenty of architects who sit in an office and make buildings.  They seldom interact with clients and do just fine. There just has to be someone else around to do all the client interaction. 

Nov 13, 15 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If you do well when you are prepared, then you have to find ways of preparing yourself quickly and sometimes spontaneously.  You'll get there.  There are a lot of reasons not to be an architect, but not being a natural bullshitter is not one of them.  You'll get over that part with experience.

Nov 13, 15 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I would advise anybody in your position to jump ship.  This profession is a nightmare.  If you don't like it now, imagine how you are going to feel in 10 years of being a revit/CAD monkey.

That being said, public speaking is a skill that can be learned - unfortunately not enough schools teach or emphasize this.  Most likely any professional path you choose will have some level of presentation required - given - architecture school is excessive in the frequency of presentations.  

Whatever you choose to do, work on your public speaking - take a course outside of your college - join a toastmasters group. 

Nov 13, 15 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

What geezertect said.  I don't agree with the premise chigurh has outlined, i.e. you should necessarily jump ship because of this particular problem you are experiencing.  I do agree with chigurh if his/ her point is the profession has massive problems with assuming architecture is all about BIM/ CAD monkeying.

Are you introverted?  (meaning you get your mental energy primarily from your internal thought processes -NOT necessarily "shy")

If so, part of your preparation might be an psycho active pharmaceutical to reduce anxiety and/or a beta blocker to reduce the adrenal gland reaction under stress in in situations which expose you to the fight or flight response.

Propranolol works wonders for reducing the fight or flight reaction under the glare of the stage lights.  But if the symptoms are a reaction to some emotional disorder in the amygdala or limbic system then an anti-anxiety pharmaceutical which targets chemical synapses in the brain might be more in order.  Or a combination of the two types.

Preparation is key for introverts.

Nov 13, 15 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Why is it a lot of people in architecture tell prospective architects not to do it or jump ship? Are you that bitter over the path you chose our are you trying to protect your ass so that someone else doesn't replace you? If you are bitter, get out and do what you really want to do. If you are trying to protect your ass, stop. This profession needs to encourage mentorship.

End rant.
Nov 13, 15 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

Josh you are spot on.  That said, the profession does have massive problems with allowing the marketplace to define it as nothing more than a BIM/ CAD monkey occupation.

The problems need to be identified for what they are and be addressed at some point.

Too many nurses trying to do what doctors do and vice versa (analogy is drafters are allowed to pretend to be architects and architects are expected to fulfill the duties of nurses).  Its a very very unprofitable/ inefficient/ frustrating profession for this reason.  And for all parties involved.  Wall street (e.g. Autodesk) loves it though.  Their profit is directly proportional to the profession's divisions and misery.

Nov 13, 15 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

This profession is totally flawed - I am just trying to save somebody the trouble of finding that out 10 years down the road - the OPs concern is relatively minor - is only having problems with school presentations - I would ask the larger questions about passion for the field, where they see themselves as a designer, do they have skills or not?  2 years into a program these answers would be evident.  If you are not really that into it - jump ship, and that is coming from a mentor - because all this profession needs is more people half-assing it.  Good knight recommending a pharmaceutical solution to public speaking anxiety is ridiculous.  

Nov 13, 15 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

OP I was in a similar position as you, in third year I became very confident and knew what to say at everything because at the end of the day why be scared? However I realised later on that being a architect wasn't for me as I ...don't like people in general or interacting with folks not to say I can't. It's up to you OP, go confidence comes with time however I took a tech route although a lot of my day is computer work and workflow contrary to the others who dislike it I rather enjoy it and love 3d modelling.

Nov 13, 15 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

actually Good knight's comment was useful defining the problem of the OP . I have exactly the same problem as the OP and I though it's just because English isn't my first language,but apparently its because of my introverted personality... defining the problem is half the solution..

Nov 13, 15 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

@ Lalu, 

i went through the same thing in college. Worked 2 jobs and lack of sleep. I made it through my 5yrs I also stumbled through my presentations early in my education. I realized that my design had to many thoughts or I didn't fully understand my own design or simply I didn't do enough work. Later on I would write a narrative about my project the night before my presentations and that helped a lot. My advice I received from a professor who work in a restaurant delivering food to pay to go to Columbia "Work harder!! Be better"

Nov 13, 15 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: