Archinect
anchor

Want to start a firm: where to go to find a partner?

Good_Knight

I'd like to find someone who would like to partner with me and eventually open an architecture firm.  I have a clear idea of the complementary personality and skills I'm looking for.

I have a close friend who started his wildly successful consulting business (going on 5 years) by networking with potential partners on the internet at night and keeping his day job.

He is an electrical engineer and naturally gravitated towards his startup in IT.  It was easier perhaps for him to find himself a partner in that online milieu of IT folks on the internet.

He initially ran into him on the internet and then built a relationship over a period of a few months.  Each lived in different states, far away from eachother geographically.

Then they both began to formulate their business plan over a period of a year or so and then started implementing it over the following couple of years.  After three years they both quit their day jobs and have been wildly successful since.

I see this being possible in architecture.

Wishing there was an online dating service for partnering architects with one another.

Any ideas on how/ where to find a partner with whom one might start a firm with?

Online?  In real life?

Nov 10, 15 12:43 pm
curtkram

i'll start a firm with you

Nov 10, 15 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

just make your spouse get an architects license. seems legit

Nov 10, 15 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

craglist, facebook, twitter, tinder, ashley madison, snapchat, periscope, its just lunch.....

Nov 10, 15 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I think you want to actually ask this question: "how can I be wildly successful, like my friend?"
Nov 10, 15 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Archinect has been "connecting architects since 1997." Have you started looking around these muddied waters ... aside from curtkram?

Nov 10, 15 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Kickstarter.

Nov 11, 15 3:04 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

what, i'm not good enough?  pfft.  he'd be lucky to have me as a partner.

Nov 11, 15 7:31 am  · 
 · 
Anob

@Curtkram

Im also starting to look for a partner. 

A little about myself....

located in the NY metro area. 4 years of architecture experience and 4 years in construction.

Strong experience in retail and healthcare, and have a lot of connections in both. About a 1yr and half in single-family and multi-housing residential..  Looking to be licensed by the end of 2016. 

Nov 11, 15 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

anob, get licensed or you're not in the game.

you might be a stellar architect, but if you aren't licensed with 8 years of experience, your head is not in the real game.

Nov 11, 15 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Null pointer, that's why I would need a partner. I would say you might have "8 years experience and a license for every state but if you can't get a client to walk through your doors you're not in the real game". 

Nov 11, 15 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

You don't need a partner to get a license. Who the fuck are you? Richard Balkins east-coast edition?

Nov 11, 15 4:34 pm  · 
Anob

Hell fucking no!! Definitely not that guy.

Planning on doing small projects while I continue working for my current employer. I will get more serious once I get licensed. I don't see a problem working on small residential projects with someone who is licensed a big problem. The profits would probably be split definitely because I don't have a license

Nov 11, 15 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

One would think given the nature of the work, it's much harder to find a good partner in a design firm.  You hear plenty of stories of good design partners not bringing in work, design philosophies diverging, lack of due diligence, etc. Bigger firms have candidates pass through a battery of tests (personality profiling, financial analysis, etc) - in most cases it is and ought to be, more intense than a curated online dating service.  You need to know what you excel at and where your gaps are, combined with what type of person you can put up with for the long haul.

Profit should be split based on liability and who brings in the work - chances are you're carrying liability insurance for a length of time.

While I understand why a lot of people want to start their own practice - I'm not sure without having experience in the business side of things for some time and the design side if it's a sound decision (15+ yrs and licensed, I'm just beginning to get a grasp on what I'm looking for in a firm partner).

As for where to find one: get involved in the areas you want to practice in to get a network of like minded people, alumni network, AIA, USGBC, whatever.  It is like dating - you need to find the match in interest, personality then run through business philosophy and finally financial and psychological due diligence.

Nov 11, 15 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

3tk, exactly what I was about to point out. Anob can't carry any liability without a license. The only way to split a job with him fairly is to go in with a 90%/10% or have him put money into your professional liability insurance payment for the length of the statute of response. Which in New York City is... well.. no statute of repose, so forever.

Nov 11, 15 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Nov 11, 15 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

null pointer,

Anob can't carry any liability without a license

Um... that's not necessarily true. If you are an owner of a business then you have liability to EVERY employee and co-partner's action. This doesn't matter if you are licensed or not. 

Only unlicensed EMPLOYEES have no liability. 

Nov 11, 15 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Dick, there's no business-entity liability over professional errors and omissions in New York, professional liability pierces through the corporate veil here. oh.. and unlicensed individuals can only own up to 25% of an architecture firm anyways.

Do your fucking research.

Nov 12, 15 7:39 am  · 
 · 
gruen

I had a partner once. We had very different skills - which I think is actually a really good thing.

He was a great designer and really good at bringing in work. He was terrible at showing up to work and actually doing work. 

I'm good at getting the work done, translating designs into buildable buildings and running an office, taking care of the books. I'm not as good at design or bringing in work.

When we were partners - we both expected to be doing the same work and getting compensated the same. This caused friction and ultimately caused our split.

If we had been smart, we would have set up complementary roles and compensation. Setting up the roles would have been easier than figuring out compensation. 

Now, I'm the only owner / decision maker and I'm much happier. I'd love to have someone who complemented my skills, but not enough to bring in a partner. 

Why do you want a partner? In your original post you talk a lot about your friend and his success. You are a different person, and working in a different field. You need to build your business, not put the cart before the horse. If you think you need a partner because you cannot see how to build your business otherwise, then figure out what the business is, and what person would fill the partner role. THEN try to fill that role with employees, NOT a partner. You really get locked in with a partner. If you find the right employee ,you may want to upgrade them to partner at some point, but not right away.

Perhaps try a trial basis with a partner - such as a single project or a limited amount of time. This will allow you to observe them, and yourself to see what it's like to work together. 

(Women know this stuff cold, men just don't get it. I attribute it to our differences in dating)

Nov 12, 15 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

Oh no!  Balkins poop all over my thread!

Nov 12, 15 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

gruen,

thank you for your thoughtful and insightful response!

"Why do you want a partner? In your original post you talk a lot about your friend and his success. You are a different person, and working in a different field. You need to build your business, not put the cart before the horse. If you think you need a partner because you cannot see how to build your business otherwise, then figure out what the business is, and what person would fill the partner role. THEN try to fill that role with employees, NOT a partner. You really get locked in with a partner. If you find the right employee ,you may want to upgrade them to partner at some point, but not right away.

Perhaps try a trial basis with a partner - such as a single project or a limited amount of time. This will allow you to observe them, and yourself to see what it's like to work together."

My personality requires daily feedback a few times a day to attain synergy.  I don't get motivated to action in real life by doing big things (like starting and running a firm) alone.  I enjoy camaraderie and feed off it.  I loathe isolation.  I need someone at least as smart as I am, though.  Interestingly, as I read your post and respond to your particular question I'm left with the thought that you personally had the 'opportunity' to learn your lesson regarding whether or not you'd fit long term with a partner; perhaps we all have to go through that learning process/ opportunity?  My approach to daily practice is remarkably similar to yours (and your partner is similar to whom I am looking or) and who knows maybe after working with such a person as partners I'd end up in the same position you are currently at, eventually?  Right now as it stands I can't imagine not having a partner though.

The trial basis idea is a great one!

Nov 12, 15 11:37 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

if you were to run your own company, wouldn't you be the person giving the feedback rather than receiving it? 

Nov 12, 15 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

null pointer,

Yeah.. okay. So what. I never said anything about percentage of ownership. That's besides the point. You said liability. You didn't specify particular types of liability. Add to that, no particular State was indicated. I don't fucking keep track of where everyone is licensed or is located in, especially when they signing with an anonymous name without a real profile that indicates where they are from. 

Add to that, architecture businesses enterprises can extend well beyond just New York.

Nov 12, 15 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Who was I responding to? Anob.

Where is Anob? NYC.

You're a fucking moron.

Nov 12, 15 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

I was replying to this:

Dick, there's no business-entity liability over professional errors and omissions in New York, professional liability pierces through the corporate veil here. oh.. and unlicensed individuals can only own up to 25% of an architecture firm anyways.

Do your fucking research.

My previous and original reply was to:

3tk, exactly what I was about to point out. Anob can't carry any liability without a license. The only way to split a job with him fairly is to go in with a 90%/10% or have him put money into your professional liability insurance payment for the length of the statute of response. Which in New York City is... well.. no statute of repose, so forever.

You said any liability. Sorry, there is more than one kind of liability you fucking moron. Add to that, EVERY business that provides a service is subject to lawsuits of errors and omissions. Even building designers who are unlicensed in ANY state can be held liable for tort and negligence because common law / case law in every court holds that no person is devoid of any knowledge. If you have any subject matter education or experience than you have a professional liability to that subject matter even if you are practicing illegally. Illegal practice doesn't exempt you from liability.

PS: Stop thinking state specific. Unlicensed building design isn't limited to ONE state. So what if he is in NYC, it doesn't mean his residential practice would necessarily be in NYC or NYS. He could practice in most states and still live in NYC. There is nothing that prohibits him from establishing a residential building design firm and practice in Pennsylvania or Connecticut which the latter might be where he would be able to get the most out of his residential practice until he is licensed. It's only like 20 miles. That's like the distance between Astoria and Seaside or Cannon Beach. Seriously. So what the fuck. You're a skip and a hop to the Connecticut.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_390.htm#sec_20-298

Sec. 20-298. Exempted activities. The following activities are exempted from the provisions of this chapter: (1) The practice of engineering by a professional engineer licensed under the provisions of chapter 391, and the performance by such professional engineer of architectural work for which such professional engineer is qualified by education and experience and which is incidental to such professional engineer’s engineering work; (2) the construction or alteration of a residential building to provide dwelling space for not more than two families, or of a private garage or other accessory building intended for use with such residential building, or of any farm building or structure for agricultural use; (3) the preparation of details and shop drawings by persons other than architects, for use in execution of the work of such persons, when buildings are designed in accordance with the requirements of this chapter; (4) the activities of employees of architects licensed in this state acting under the instructions, control or supervision of their employers; (5) the superintendence by builders, or properly qualified superintendents employed by such builders, of the construction or structural alteration of buildings or structures; (6) the activities of officers and employees of any public utility corporation whose operations are under the jurisdiction of the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority; (7) the activities of officers and employees of the government of the United States while engaged in this state in the practice of architecture for said government; and (8) the making of plans and specifications for or supervising the erection of any building, any building addition or any alteration to an existing building, where the building, including any addition, contains less than five thousand square feet total area, provided (A) this subdivision shall not be construed to exempt from the provisions of this chapter buildings of less than five thousand square feet total area of the use groups as defined in the State Building Code as follows: Assembly, educational, institutional, high hazard, transient residential, which includes hotels, motels, rooming or boarding houses, dormitories and similar buildings, and (B) the area specified in this subdivision is to be calculated from the exterior dimensions of the outside walls of the building and shall include all occupiable floors or levels.

With that in mind, he has a number of project types in which he can easily do without having to leave NYS to live in Connecticut. 

This is not suggesting that he does this but it is something that is possible if he wanted to do so.

You mention, piercing the corporate veil... yes, that means any tort or negligence can and would be applied not only to the direct party responsible but all partners of a business because they would go for as many wallets to collect from. It is about money.... RIGHT? They lawyers will sue all business partners.

Nov 12, 15 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

That said, I want to refocus the thread back to the original poster, not Anob but Good Knight.

Good Knight, it was already off rail on Anob before I posted on this.

Good Knight wrote: 

I'd like to find someone who would like to partner with me and eventually open an architecture firm.  I have a clear idea of the complementary personality and skills I'm looking for.

I have a close friend who started his wildly successful consulting business (going on 5 years) by networking with potential partners on the internet at night and keeping his day job.

He is an electrical engineer and naturally gravitated towards his startup in IT.  It was easier perhaps for him to find himself a partner in that online milieu of IT folks on the internet.

He initially ran into him on the internet and then built a relationship over a period of a few months.  Each lived in different states, far away from eachother geographically.

Then they both began to formulate their business plan over a period of a year or so and then started implementing it over the following couple of years.  After three years they both quit their day jobs and have been wildly successful since.

I see this being possible in architecture.

Wishing there was an online dating service for partnering architects with one another.

Any ideas on how/ where to find a partner with whom one might start a firm with?

Online?  In real life?

First, architecture and IT are to very different fields and are financially funded differently. The IT industry can be quite often be funded (energized) by venture capital. Architecture isn't so easily capitalized this way because ROI rate is significantly slower than the IT industry which venture capital industry is attracted to and now been accustom to. I state this to point these realities that are challenges. They are not necessarily insurmountable but I want to be clear that there is significant differences in how this industries are capitalized (how the economy of these two distinct industries are like). I hope you are aware of it. This might pop the bubble of illusion but it is best to be grounded down to earth than to be deluded with bullshit fantasy.

Your real question, any ideas on how/where to find a partner with whom one might start a firm with? Online? In real life?

I don't know which one would be better. It is good to have a chance to see or know these online characters beyond their online appearance.

In setting out a firm, what kind of firm practice?

What state(s) are you looking to operate in? I have an idea that Idaho is one of them but I ask it might be more than Idaho. 

What kind of projects are you looking at doing as a business?

Nov 12, 15 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Anseto

I am running an architectural firm in Turkey and having completed couple of projects. I have graduated from AA London, aim to create an international collaboration to be able to work worldwide. Therefore looking for some partners to build up an international network initiative. I think the main advantage of this initiative will make us able to get commission worldwide through utilising relatively low-cost labor.  Please be in touch if anybody is interested. 

Mar 10, 23 11:52 am  · 
 · 

No. Go away spammer.

Mar 10, 23 12:10 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: