Archinect
anchor

dual monitor color calibration

Alright, finally got around to getting a second monitor for my system. My primary is an Apple 20" Cinema and the secondary is an Apple 17" Studio. For some reason I'm having a helluva time getting them to display colors exactly the same (running OS X 10.3.7 on a dual 1.8 G5).

Does anyone know of a quick way to calibrate them simultaneously rather than seperately? Or should I just accept the slight variation?

Feb 5, 05 10:31 pm
SpringFresh

you could try asking in the video graphics forum at mtka - loads of people have dual monitors- and i'm sure they would know the answer.

and does anyone have any ideas? - i'm having problems trying to connect my tv, via scart to s-video to a separate graphics card on my mac.
the primary screen is a 22" cinema display- the graphic drivers are all installed- and it doesnt come up with the tv option.

dual g4 , os x 10.3.7

Feb 6, 05 4:14 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

I've never done the tv option, but with I the lcd and crt monitor, it may be impossible to match them precisely. Your lcd will always be brighter than your crt monitor, unless you manually lower the brightness, which I don't recommend. I just dealt with it, but I'm sure there are ways to do it.

Depending on what application you are running, many just put their work on one monitor, and the pallettes and everything else on the other. (i.e. stuff that doesn't matter color-wise goes on one, with everything else on the other. Or you can get two of the same monitor.

Sorry, I know that's not much help..
There's a thread about it here.. I'm sure there are more if you search google groups.

Feb 6, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

Here's the response I received from MSJ user Rope:

"for all i know, color management / calibration stems from this very issue. no two pieces of hardware will display color precisely the same - not even two monitors of the same build or series.
however, the difference, once your monitors are calibrated, should be a slight one. typically, shades of gray may show a color cast, and plain-colored areas may display differently on each monitor. photographs should look *very* similar, though."

pencrush: not sure if you were talking to me, but both of my monitors are LCDs.

Feb 6, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

someone on MSJ pointed me towards a great little program called SuperCal. Definately worth the 10 minutes it took to calibrate both of my monitors. I'd recommend any Mac OSX user (does anyone still run 9?) to check it out. Its readily available on Version Tracker.

Feb 7, 05 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: