Archinect
anchor

New Dean at Harvard Design School

kendogg
Alan Altshuler announced as Dean of the Harvard Design School

Cambridge, MA: February 2, 2005. President Lawrence H. Summers announced today the appointment of Alan A. Altshuler, Ruth and Frank Stanton Professor of Urban Policy and Planning in the Harvard Graduate School of Design and the Kennedy School of Government, to the position of dean of the Graduate School of Design (GSD), effective immediately. Professor Altshuler has been serving as acting dean of the Design School since July 2004.

First of all, how would this relatively unknown person in the architecture community contribute to the GSD's identity as an 'Architecture' school? Secondly, even though the GSD officially changed its name to Harvard Design School, why does it continue to refer itself as the GSD? personally, i prefer to call it the GSD.

Feb 5, 05 7:29 pm
sameolddoctor

its all politics and who licks whose ass, i guess, but i might be wrong

Feb 5, 05 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

The Design School is not exclusively an Architecture school, so the Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning constituencies also need to be considered. Altshuler's position is a Deanship, which is to say primarily concerned with fundraising, budgets and acting as a liason to the larger part of the University. Mori is still chair of the Architecture program, and the responsibility for Harvard's reputation in Architecture specifically would remain with her.

Feb 5, 05 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
netizen

its still called gsd because the harvard divinity school wont let gsd call itself hds, true story

i think itll always be called gsd

Feb 6, 05 12:23 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Deanships are all about who can raise the most money, and keep the profile of the school high. Janosh is right, GSD is also known for planning and landscape as well, and Altshuler is very well-known in planning circles. It is not the chair, but the individucal program heads--architecture included-- who drive the curriculum, faculty, etc.

Feb 6, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

The "Harvard" is for branding. Every time anyone says "Harvard" in public Mr. chicks-can't-do-math corporate tool guy gets a nickel.

"Harvard"
"Harvard"
"Harvard"
"Harvard"

See.

Feb 6, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: