Archinect
anchor

super 8 film making

SpringFresh

has anyone made any recently? what film stock have people used- does it work when you artificially light it- and has anyone tried developing their own?

and if no- one know what i'm talking about - it's an early film format that is having a bit of a comeback at the moment (used a lot in music videos) because it has really great colour properties, compared to off the shelf digital.

Feb 4, 05 6:16 pm
meversusyou

i use an old 8 mm and its great. correct me if i am wrong, the super 8 doesnt require you to splice the film after its developed?

i recently made a small video of an art opening and the results we quite nice. the drawback was the price of the bulb i had to buy to replace the old one in the projector.

i tried to use artificial light, but its amazing how much light you actually need to produce a decent scene. i have an old bulb tree with about 4 300 watt lights on it. you can basically get a tan under those lights. but that is what gives the 8mm such a great image texture.

Feb 4, 05 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Heywood Djabloughme

mevsyou,
you shoot standard 8mm film?
i recently acquired an old Bolex P1 camera. it takes regular 8 and i've been meaning to get some film. where did you buy your film? where did you get it processed?

Feb 4, 05 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

i bought the film from an old camera shop right by my university. the guy knew alot about it and even helped me develop it. i dont know of very many places to buy film offhand, try to search online for a distributor. there are even fewer places to get it developed, at least in my neck of the woods. i would contact your trusted camera shop for details, but if you know how to develop film and have access to a darkroom, it isnt that tough to do it yourself. i had to split the 16mm film with an exacto though, not recommended.

Feb 4, 05 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

Check these links out:

straigt 8
chromogenic's super8 film "Le Requin Mort" and his FAQ on how he pulled it off including film developing, transfer to digital and post production

Feb 4, 05 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: