Archinect
anchor

format harddisk

stainB

Dear all,

i'm running winXP and screwed up my explorer.exe by using system restore => i just get a blank screen i.e. no window explorer

All data are transfer safely to my ipod. And to start over again, I'm gonna to format my hd.

will anyone tell me how to format a system/boot volume? what are the implications (to the physical drive)?

many thanks

Feb 4, 05 10:19 am
BOTS

you can do that over the web through microsoft.................... damn you've just formatted the hard drive that enables you to connect tothe internet.

Feb 4, 05 10:29 am  · 
 · 
stainB

ah... thanks bot.

just printed the instructions from microsoft.com

Feb 4, 05 10:53 am  · 
 · 
threshold

At your boot promt do whatever keystroke gets you into BIOS. From there you need to set your computer to boot first from the CDROM (it is probably now set to boot from the HD then the floppy then the CD).

Once you have that set save and exit which will automatically reboot you. At this point you will get a prompt asking if you want to boot from the CDROM - obviously choose yes.

The XP setup utility will start. I would delete your old partition, create a new partition (NTFS format) and install XP on it.

** From your message it sounds like you may have multiple partitions so be very careful to delete just the one with the operating system. *** Also, DON'T REFORMAT THE DRIVE if there is more than one partition and the other partitions still have stuff you want - reformatting the drive will delete everything on that drive no matter the partition.

When complete go back into the BIOS and set the computer to boot first from your HD.

Feb 4, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
stainB

thanks daver...

One problem, my computer stop recognising my CD-ROM drive... I can't even boot from CD.

It’s definitely not cause by faulty CD-ROM, I tested it with another computer and it works fine.

Feb 4, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

That's a problem, especially if your OS source is on CD...

When you are in XP can you see the CD-ROM?

How about in BIOS - can you see it there?

Desktop or laptop computer?

Feb 4, 05 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
Brim

stainb - if you're CD rom won't boot - you'll have to make floppy bootdisks to boot from. Search Microsoft for how to make WinXP boot disks - 6 total I believe. You still need to use the CD though for installing - the 6 floppies only get you started.

IF you have mutliple partitions (system volume, storage volume) format only the system volume (C drive) and reinstall XP. NO need to "delete" the partition - just format it. Formatting wipes everything off that partition.

Feb 6, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: