Archinect
anchor

frosting glass (in models)

dillup.

Isn't there some spray you can use for clear acrylic or acetate in models that will give it a frosted finish? I usually just sand but I want it to be smooth.

I thought I remembered using a 3m spray-on product that you typically use to protect finished hand-drawings and I thought it frosted plastic, but I bought some and it didn't work.

If anyone knows the specific product that will do please let me know, and post any other special tips would be helpful.

thanks

Feb 2, 05 9:55 pm
3west

if you want the plexi to have a really nice matte translucent finish, use an orbital sander with a fine grit paper. it is way better than any spary or sanding by hand

Feb 2, 05 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

You can use p-95 vinyl film.. basically it's just a sticker that's frosted.. I think you can probably buy smaller sheets of it too, but I know you can get bigger sheets at any sign shop..

Feb 2, 05 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I use plastic pattern sheets found in the fabric section of you local hobby store (ie. Hobby lobby). These are cheap and easy to cut. It is not too thick (perhaps 1/16 at the most) so it is not as rigid at some of the thicker plexi. However, I find that it works great for windows and gives an excellent semitransparent look.

Feb 2, 05 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
andrew04

There is a frosting spray you can find in the spray paint section at Home Depot or Lowes, I've also seen people use spray fixative, from any art supply store.

Feb 3, 05 1:47 am  · 
 · 
interrobang

Maybe try (car/plane/train) model paints. Testors has a Dullcote spray that might do what you need. Also a tinting spray if you ever need that. These paints are meant for plastic so they will go on evenly and permanently.

Feb 3, 05 8:53 am  · 
 · 
a+127

you can use a little mist of white spray piant on the back of a the piece of plastic, but only if your not going to see that side. but really, it's easier just to sand it with 220 grit and an orbital sander.

Feb 3, 05 9:41 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

sandblasting the rear side of the plastic or acitate always creates a really smooth uniform finish that is hard to get with sanding. Also there is no grooves that sometimes occurs with sanding.

Feb 3, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

i've had the best results with thin lexan & the finest grit sandpaper you can buy (600 & up). there are too many hassles with sprays.

I think I breathed in too many fumes as a kid....

Feb 3, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 
archiphreak

"frosted glass" from home depot. gives you the most uniform finish, doesn't groove, is alot cheaper than buying an orbital sander, sandblaster, or sand paper. oh, and it only takes 3 1/2 seconds to apply and that is including drying time. sanding is for people with entirely too much time on their hands. if you want it quick and precise, go with the spray

Feb 3, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

sometimes I spray mount trace paper to acrylic. Not my preferred method, but works when I don't have time to go to the store for anything.

Feb 3, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Matte spray. The one you use to prevent drawings from smudging. I usually use the one made by Krylon. Most kids from my school used this too when not sanding the acrylic.

Feb 4, 05 1:21 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Oh yeah, you should practice spraying on a test piece. You have to coat evenly and also not too heavily in one coat. Spray evenly with multiple layers so it comes out nice and even, w/o the icky streaks and clumps. And don't spray too close or else the stuff will glob together.

Feb 4, 05 1:23 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Sanding looks the best. Spraying always scratches or smudeges and looks bad.

Feb 4, 05 8:30 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

vinyl film is absolutely the best option- the stuff in shop windows that look sandblasted is almost always this. It's totally matt- and to do it properly you have to apply it with soapy water and a squeegee/ credit card to sqeeze the water out from between the film and the plastic.
BUT it depend what scale the model is- it's a bit to fiddly to do on something tiny, unless you cut it up afterwards, but the edges never look as good.

Feb 4, 05 8:47 am  · 
 · 
mdler

spray a light coat of krylon matte finish, let it dry. Then go back with multiple heavy coats

Feb 4, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Suture

Dil lup,

whats wrong with you making a real model?!?!?!?!?!?

havent you heard of MAYA? and 3-d printers???

Like DuuuuuHHHHHH!

Feb 4, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: