anchor

architecture to see in LA

taboho

i am planning a 2-day trip to the LA/SD area, and plan to visit:

salk
prada beverly hills
moneo church

what else are must-see's?

for the record, not a big fan of LA sprawl and not a big fan of morphosis.

Feb 2, 05 1:52 pm
dioscuri

if you get to the salk check out TWBTA's Nuerosciences Institute.(ask the receptionist to let you into the auditorium)
just off the top must see's in LA include
-Schindler House
-Eames House & other case studies if you can find them
-Gehry's santa monica house
-Culver City (moss enclave) - although if you're not a morphosis fan you may not be interested
-the Hollyhock house by Wright may still be under renovation

Feb 2, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

I would skip the Prada store... poor detailing, not that exciting, horrible staff, and Beverly Hills is a pain unless you have other shopping to do there.

Feb 2, 05 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
zandarooz

definitely try and make it to the Schindler House on King's Road in West Hollywood, the Venice Canals are nice and have a lot of nice houses, including ones by Mark Mack and Michele Saee. If you're in the West Hollywood neighborhood, there is also a Lloyd Wright house on Doheny Drive.

Feb 2, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

disney concert hall is a must see
frank lloyd wright's storer residence
schindler's lovell beach house

spend a little time in silverlake; there is an amazing concentration of schinder & neutra's work there w/ frank lloyd wright's ennis-brown house close by in griffith park.

Feb 2, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Bula

If your into A&C check G&G's Gamble House (as well as the older Pasadena neighborhoods).

The Getty

The Plaza tower by Cesar-Pelli in Costa Mesa is a nice stop if you visit the South Coast Plaza area.

If your a Mormon check the overly lavish SD Mormon Temple in La Jolla.

Feb 2, 05 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
dioscuri

I would add the Coronado hotel to my SD list and the Griffith observatory to the LA one.

Feb 2, 05 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"Blue Whale" (Pacific Design Center), Cesar Pelli, West Hollywood

LA City Hall, Parkinson & Parkinson, Downtown LA

UCLA campus has some great buildings, old and new

Feb 2, 05 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

even if you are not a morphosis fan, you might want to quickly check out the Kate Mantilini restaurant on Wilshire blvd - old school morphosis kicks ass!!!

Feb 2, 05 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
allcaps

Buy a copy of Jonathan Gold's Counter Intelligence and eat wherever he tells you to eat.

This is the best way to find out that LA isn't what you think it is.

Feb 2, 05 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

is anyone aware of the bricolage house in LA? someone made it out of glass bottles and scrap metal and stuff. is it interesting?

Feb 2, 05 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

watts tower by simon rodia

bradbury building in downtown la

Feb 2, 05 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

Strawbeary, maybe you are thinking of Grandma Prisbrey's Bottle village :

http://echomatic.home.mindspring.com/bv/

I havn't been there since I was a kid, but I remember it was cool.

Feb 3, 05 12:17 am  · 
 · 

Walk through the alleys, walks, and along the oceanfront path at Venice Beach. The oceanfront houses (including Gehry's Norton and the Predock one) are interesting, but then the pedestrian walks perpendicular to the beach are a totally different texture.

Definitely Culver City.
Definitely Schindler's Kings Road house.

Stay at the Beverly Laurel Hotel if you haven't already made other arrangements. Cheap and cool. Eat at the nifty diner/club in the corner of the building - Swingers. Walk down around the corner by TV City to the Farmer's Market for a nice sensory (smells, textures, sights, sounds) experience.

The Getty gets a bad rap. Not that it's great from a pure design standpoint, but it offers a unique experience to the visitor. And it's free.

I loved that I didn't find the anonymous sprawling car-hell that I expected. The sense of distinct neighborhoods of very different character and culture was a nice surprise. Walk when you get a chance.

Feb 3, 05 9:10 am  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Hate Kate Mantilini and anything in Culver City (Moss - ugggh)
Love the gardens at the Getty (building is not so interesting, and be sure to wear sunglasses if you go because it's bright as hell and you'll get a headache).
Griffith Observatory is still closed as far as I know, but if you like walking/hiking taking a long walk in the park can be fun - we live on the north/east side (Atwater Village), so we usually start close to the old Zoo. They still have the grottos and animal cages, and you can actually picknick in the grottos. The walk up the hill will take about 20-30 minutes (fire roads) and you'll have an amazing view. It's sort of unnerving to see that so few people are walking in such a huge park, though the picknick areas at the bottom(grass, playgrounds, etc.) get crowded on the week-ends. There is also a little train ride for kids and a train "museum" where they have old cars, but I haven't been there. If you're in the park, a walk down by the river can be fun. There's a paved bike path from Atwater north, and some bridges which span across. A lot of the plants and trees growing in the bottom got washed out by the crazy rains, but there are tons of birds.

Feb 3, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 

hating moss seems to be a local pastime in la.

i'm not sure it's the best work i've ever seen, but at culver city moss explores some things that you don't often get to see - his i'll-just-mess-with-this-corner approach to adaptive reuse, for example. confession: despite the presence of the stealth building, i was much more excited about the use of cmu on the entry wall.

just like gehry for me, you don't have to like it in order to learn something from the visit that can affect your own work.

kate mantilini, while not my favorite either, had a nice moment: going upstairs to the tiny hall/bathroom area and finding the opportunity to look down over the restaurant from a tiny balcony. dinner was expensive, though.

you should drive by gehry's house. you've seen everything the house has to offer in pictures, but seeing the neighborhood around it adds an interesting dimension.

1950 tischler house by schindler. mr. tischler still lives in it and still thinks it's the greatest house ever! THAT's a successful project!

Feb 3, 05 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

Strawbeary - you might be referring to Bottle Village in Simi Valley?

http://ludb.clui.org/ex/i/CA3069/

Feb 3, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
o+

...in case you want to kick around silver lake for a while...

http://www.thesilverlakenews.com/index.php?pageId=47727

Feb 3, 05 8:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: