Archinect
anchor

google does images

3ifs

just downloaded this [free] new image software from google, and i am really impressed... its called picasa2.

http://google.picasa.com/

Feb 1, 05 3:48 pm
kenny

got it a few days ago ... I'm very impressed as well.
It's like iPhoto, but a million times faster with a lot more advanced features. I really like how it can decipher all the detailed info from any image taken with a digital camera.

Plus, it's a great way to find lost images in your see of computer files since it searches out your entire hard drive(s) for all image/movie files and displays them in folders organized by date.

I took about an hour to find all my image files though ... but once I have things organized it will be quite an impressive and useful program.

Feb 1, 05 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Does it actually move your picture files? I organized my mp3's with itunes and it seriously jacked things up.

Feb 1, 05 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
kenny

nope. doesn't alter your files or their locations.
I had a similar problem with iTunes, but I've since told it to leave my mp3 naming/folders alone. we get along just fine now.

Feb 2, 05 2:35 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

have you seen the irish search engine called Doogle?

Feb 2, 05 4:00 am  · 
 · 
e909
have you seen the irish search engine called Doogle?

name sounds like hybrid of gaggle of geese and dogpile.

"The site may be busy or the web server may be down."

oh, it's a very impressionable site
http://216.239.63.104/search?q=cache:O98MRVuMgqAJ:doogle.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/++doogle

and check the links

hoy friggin. the form produced:
http://doogle.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/cgi-bin/doogle.py?q=bum&btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Bolloxed

or maybe i guessed luck(il)y

©2004 Doogle - Searching 12 web pages

Feb 2, 05 5:01 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

picasa - i found it to be a pain in the butt....keeps sniffing for files

Feb 2, 05 6:05 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

the competition on search engines hotting up with microsoft coming to the party late for a change.

Search and you shall find

Feb 2, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 

I like the picasa thing. Found 'lost' pictures and lots of big forgotten memory-hogging pic files that I could delete. Now I'm runnin' lean an' mean.

Feb 2, 05 9:27 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

brian,

it does not move any of your files... just organizes them in the picasa interface.

Feb 2, 05 9:58 am  · 
 · 
kyll

all it does is find images on your drive? no editing capabilities at all? please elaborate. i keep my stuff fairly organized and don't need that but another image "editing" program is always welcome in my cyber-abode...

Feb 2, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
kenny

it has more features than purely organization.
I haven't played with it much, but it does do basic photo editing.
It's no photoshop, but it does the majority of useful tricks. (the histogram and camera information are great!)

Editing Features

I'd say from first glance that the best things it has going for it are the interface (everything is easy to use and very integrated and intuitive); the speed (everything is extremely speedy -- even on my 1.8ghz athalon); and its navigations/search (it is a google product afterall and it finds anything and everything).

best advice > download it and decide for yourself.

Feb 2, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
xpondilus

excellent link BOTS txs.

Feb 3, 05 12:13 am  · 
 · 
xpondilus

Picasa has 2 big problems:

1- It doesnt allow you to arrange in a hierarchical tree structure your files. You can make a folder then all sub folders will be listed per year. So you cant make sub folders, it will organize them automatically per year of creation
ej Vacation
2005 new year
beach
bars
2004 skating
Springbreak
etc.

theres a big fuzz about it on the picasa forums, cause a lo t of people where asking for it in previous feedback threads.BUT it seems that you can trick it by first making all the folder and subdividing it using the ~ sign ej, Vacation~beach Vacation~bar, etc. I really recommend surfing the forums a bit before actually starting to use it(now, thats bad from all point of view, should be easier to handle and such a simple task should be resolved).

2.IT DOESN T SUPPORT TARGA FILES (*TGA) !!!!!
Big trouble for the "designer world".I have a folder named MAX TEXTURES and some folders appear with only 1 .jpg, and it actually holds 20 or 30 targa files. BAD.

For the rest, it awsome. I really like it. actually the targa crap annoys me the most.

worth a shot tho.

sorry for spelling.:)

Feb 3, 05 12:33 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I'm sorry I thought that this Picasa did more than simply locate your images. I read and article in Wired I think about and image search engine that could actually recognize shapes. For instance if you drew a house it would search and locate all images that have similar house like shapes. If this tool was improved so that I could type in fish and locate all the images on my computer that contain fish or fish like shapes that would be sweet. Guess I'll just have to wait.

One question, how does the software know what the date on the picture is? Is it the date that it was last modified or is it something else.

Feb 3, 05 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
funga

i certainly enjoyed google until I read this

link

Feb 4, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: