Archinect
anchor

Emachines

ArchChick03

Anybody know anything about Emachines?

Jan 30, 05 3:50 pm
BOTS

PC mag (UK) Editors Choice Oct 04

Every so often a product comes along that raises the bar for the competition. In this case it's the eMachines M5405. This 6.6-pound beauty is sleek and powerful, a rare combination in a value notebook, and it's our Editors' Choice winner.

Jan 30, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
A

Emachines is a computer company that was started by a corporate Best Buy employee who when out on his own to compete with the likes of Dell and HP.

The people at Best Buy despise Dell computer and Emachines is their vehicle to compete.

While the components of all personal computers are of mediocre quality these days - do not expect anything more from an Emachine computer than you would from the big box retailer who churns them out, hoping one day to exceed the sales of Dell.

Jan 31, 05 9:42 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

The first desktop I ever bought myself...actually the only desktop I ever bought... was an emachines. There were no perks, but it was a little workhorse and brought me through 4 years of undergrad. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it though...unless you get one of those M5405s...I guess that sounds alright.

Jan 31, 05 9:43 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

I don't know much about them, but they have always had the stigma of crappy, cheap, underpowered, crappy computers in my mind... did I mention crappy?

That being said, I buy dell for our office, and I doubt dell is much better.

Jan 31, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I run an Emachines 5312 laptop and a custom build desktop...had two powerbook g4's before and chose to go with a cheap pc once I decided to go back to school for architecture...I prefer working in Max and Rhino...so for $799 I got me a 60 gb 512 mb athlon wireless laptop.

I still work on Macs as well, though I feel being able to work independent of the OS is the best practice.

Feb 12, 05 12:32 am  · 
 · 
e909

Years ago, in articles, Dell's seemed to give most 'bang for buck'.

I've been researching and decided I'll assemble my next. 64 bit, probably AMD. But I think I've read that some software is cranky without Intel chips?

You might search google on planning a homebuilt computer (intended use, etc).

homemade computers are:
lower cost (if you don't count your labor!)
known component quality
and you have a real copy of the OS.

Even new ready-made computers need to have full reinstall of OS & software, because they're loaded with cr@pware and aren't partitioned.

Make sure you have good data backup, too. I think external drives are best.

Do some google usenet searches. "Best", "Bad", or "Quality" about manufacturers and models.

Feb 13, 05 4:43 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

New Egg is another good place to see how people have faired with certain hardware,

I agree with e909 though...as far as desktops go it is best to build your own if you have the gumption....you will most like end up with an better and cheaper box than a manufactured computer...IMHO.

Feb 13, 05 10:34 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

e909

i run a dual amd opteron at work which is 64 bit and there is no problem at all ever. Actually the machine has never even crashed once on me!!!

at home im using an amd athlon machine, and all software run totally fine on it

Feb 13, 05 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: