Archinect
anchor

deforming metal

IADR

is it possible for metal to deform naturally (as in change shape) through rusting.
If so which metals do this?

Jan 29, 05 3:43 pm
ge-ril-a

deform as in simply change shape/form

or deform as in 3d sudio bendyness?

Jan 29, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

magnesium is pretty funky stuff.

not sure where you can buy it from. comes in like a flat wire coil.

if you hold a match underneath it it magically change from a solid into a plasma.

make sure you wear dark glasses and protective gloves and stand well back

Jan 29, 05 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
IADR

JB,

as in changinf form naturally as much as possible through the process of rusting.
I know metal can get rusted to the extend of getting holes in them, but am not sure in terms of changing shape

Jan 29, 05 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

as far as i know.

rust (in iron/steel) is the process of oxidation, this only affects the surfaces that are exposed to
1. the air (oxygen)
the rate of rusting is increased and maybe dependent on the presence of water. and is again increased if salt is introduced.

as far as changng shapes go, its just a process of the useful bit of metal getting smaller and the amount of rust (dust and flakes) getting bigger

read up on entropy

CORTEN is a material which uses the oxidation process as a positive thing, but its mainly in the surface appearance of the metal.

i'm not really a chemist.

lead is an interesting one though, and will gradually seap/slump due to gravity (as will glass)

but this is a very slow process.

if you want to mess around with metals

lead is the easiest (low melting point)

but its not rusting thats temperature

i used to make my own lead figures in my kitchen, need good ventilation though, and a mask.

but you can do it on a regular hob

and dont mix it with your food!

Jan 29, 05 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: