Archinect
anchor

Job opportunities in San Francisco Bay area for international Architect

maulikshah004

Hi Friends,

My name is Maulik and I live in San Jose, CA.
I have completed 5 years of B. Arch. from India and worked for 2 years in Bangalore in small firm.
Currently, I live in San Jose and I am permanent resident in USA and hence do not require Visa for work.
I have following questions and my goal is to work in San Jose eventually.
1. What are the different path available to get there?
2. Do I really need to study M.Arch or any similar program?
3. What is the long term advice for better career? Like study, get license or else apply for jobs now.
4. How are the chances of getting immediate job in Bay Area? And with what role should I apply?

I really appreciate your time and thank you so much for helping and sharing valuable experience.
Thank you in advance.

Sep 7, 15 10:43 pm
zonker

I use to work at a firm in Santa Clara, just north of San Jose - its an Indian from Bangalore that specializes in Multi-family projects - Do you know Revit?

Sep 8, 15 11:56 am  · 
 · 
thearchitectsguide

Hi Maulik,

1. What are the different path available to get there?

If I understand correctly you are already living in San Jose? So setting up interviews, getting your name out there, visiting offices and making connections in the community should be your primary goals for finding a position.

Want a Great Architecture Job? Don't Send a Resume

2. Do I really need to study M.Arch or any similar program?

No, your B.Arch will be enough to get you in the door of any office you wish.

3. What is the long term advice for better career? Like study, get license or else apply for jobs now.

By “better career” I assume you mean a higher salary, increased responsibility and interesting work. I always recommend young architects pursue licensure as a career goal as it will increase your options in the marketplace. At a minimum, if you haven’t already, you should enroll in the IDP and begin to record your experience and qualifications.  

http://www.ncarb.org/Experience-Through-Internships.aspx

You should be applying for jobs immediately as working for an architect / in an office makes up the majority of the IDP experience requirements.

4. How are the chances of getting immediate job in Bay Area? And with what role should I apply?

There are a lot of firms hiring in the Bay Area now. It is probably the hottest market for architects in the country, so finding a position shouldn’t be overly difficult.

Given the fact you have a B.Arch and a couple years of experience you will likely come into a firm at the “Designer” or “Junior Designer” level.

Good luck!

Brandon

www.thearchitectsguide.com

Sep 9, 15 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: