Archinect
anchor

Another dumb Disney, this time u get to live in !!!!!!!

gringodms50

Well, economy was good in Dubai, so they decided let's develop (we're speaking some 20 years ago), so they did, and switched from one icon to the other , etc. etc..
But never in my wildest imagination would i have imagined the new palm projects to look like this....
It's the same old shit disney did, but even dumber, u get to live in a stupid renaissance chapel reconstructed, or a moroccan home they've implanted.........
i mean don't these people have any vision?? consultants??
Please chek it out urself.
www.nakheel.ae

Jan 29, 05 5:09 am
trace™

The Palm projects are very amusing. It just goes to show you that money drives everything and that most people have no taste.

Jan 29, 05 9:04 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

i usually claim the same thing, that moeny drives everything and most people have no taste... but this makes me think, what if we're the people without taste? i mean we seem to be the minority... i guess thats a cynical attitude.

disney's developments (and the palms) are prepackaged 'taste' for the masses... they don't even have to think about it, just plunk their money down and voila! a 'tasteful' house!

Jan 29, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I've thought about that too. My motto has been that everyone has taste, just most have bad taste.

But if you look historically, it's those that take the time to be educated about the arts that appreciate talent, and have decided what is made and what is not (usually the rich patrons). So it's safe to assume that if your everyday Joe/Jane took the time to educate him/herself (assuming they have the mental capability, which is questionable for at least 50% of the US) that they would appreciate the same things we do.

It's very subjective,though, what is 'good' and what is 'great'. It frustrates me that some people still don't like Gehry, for example. While it may not be to your taste, we should all respect him and acknowledge that he is one of the 'best', if simply because he's accomplished so many goals and overcome so many obstacles. I don't like Koolhaas, but I respect him and would say he's one of the current 'best' just because he's doing so much for achitecture.

It does all come down to education. I would not appreciate Mondrian or Malevich if I didn't know how and why they did things. It's learning about the designs that gives them depth and meaning.
Disney, of course, has no 'depth', no 'meaning'. It's all just fake fluff that you can convince most people is bad given an opportunity. Unfortunately, we are never given that chance, mostly because they build large and fast. "Build it and they will come"

Jan 30, 05 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

there was a full page paid ad in los angeles times in 90's, promoting the disney concert hall said, "Build it and they will come", with names of many architects and businessmen under it. kind of ironic..

Jan 30, 05 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: