Archinect
anchor

cad readers for MAC ?

Can anyone direct me to find a way to access AutoCAD files from , G4 i books , for instance if a person is out of the office and has the laptop and need to open a cad file to answer questions , while out of the office. anything would be helpful .

Jan 28, 05 5:25 pm
b4g

if you have vectorworks on the mac, importing the dwg file into vectorworks is your best bet. the process is pretty simple in regards to importing layers, text size, line weights, etc... you can also open a dwg file in illustrator but the process is more laborious. also converting the dwg sheet file to a pdf will work to.

Jan 28, 05 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

thanks

Jan 28, 05 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I actually had the same question in my mind -

I am planning to buy a powerbook, and was wondering how good autocad is on Virtual PC. I know VPC is quite slow and shitty generally, but if used just for opening and working on Autocad 2d files, is it any good ???

Any experiences??

Thanks

Jan 28, 05 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

i think virtual pc is pretty much garbage. if a majority of the work you will be doing on the pb is from autocad, it may not be your best bet...

what are your intentions with the powerbook?

Jan 28, 05 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

with the powerbook...
i want to use photoshop, illustrator, maybe maya for os X (dont know it it will work..but thats also a question then)..not hardcore 3d modelling, but just enough to model simple stuff - i have my dual processor PC at the office for such things.
Plan to learn flash and a bit of director
And i love using Keynote (the beautiful alternative to shitty powerpoint)...which is just a mac program.

And of course email, browsing etc etc

Jan 28, 05 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

i am gathering information for my office who has a couple of mac laptops and what to use acad lightly for purposes of answering rfi's and such ..

Jan 28, 05 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

I have been running ACad in VPC for 2D work with no problems. Even Rhino seems to run reasonably well. Just make sure you have enough RAM. Anything less than a G and your wasting your time.

Jan 28, 05 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: