Archinect
anchor

mac daddy digicams?

3ifs

i am looking for a new digital camera for the office.

i am looking at:

canon EOS 300D
canon EOS 20D ($$$$)
nikon D70

does anyone have any experience with these cameras? or can you recommend something else to look into?

Jan 28, 05 2:35 pm
meversusyou

just bought a sony t3 from ebay. its tiny, but it takes good point and shoot shots. mixed with the old 707 and its a potent arsenal.

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=11409_0_42_0_C158

Jan 28, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
9SquareGrid

I have the 300D (called the Digital Rebel in the States) and LOVE it!

Jan 28, 05 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

I did buy the D70 (see above cross reference post). I love it but I also think it might be overkill for an office camera.

If you have any specific questions on the D70 let me know.

- Dave R.

Jan 28, 05 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

initially i was looking at SLR models (such as the digi Rebel and D70), but after some research and confronting the fact that i am little more than an amateur photog, i decided on the 8MP Canon Powershot Pro 1. in terms of manual controls and options it matches the SLRs, and the zoom range is good without having to buy multiple (large) lenses for the already bulky SLRs.

the downside is a slower shutter and the CCD isn't as clear/large as SLRs, but for architecture it works well, and it certainly surpasses point and shot models.

Jan 29, 05 11:43 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

thanks for the replies. i am interested in a digi SLR mostly for the lenses. it would be nice to fit a wide angle lens for interiors, and the image quality is superior with a larger lens vs. the smaller lenses on most digicams.

i am also considering something like the Sony 717 or similar.

Jan 29, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

theres a new leader... pentax *ist DS

ultimate lens compatibility, affordable, user friendly... what more can i ask for?

Jan 31, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
iZNOF

Check out dpreview.com.
You should get a Sony F828, a d70 too much for an office camera....

Jan 31, 05 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

been living on dpreview.com for the last week. and i disagree about [a digital SLR] being too much for an office camera... we already have a point and shoot for survey work, we want something nicer for shots of completed projects.

Jan 31, 05 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
phreak125

don't forget that with the cracks freely available online your 300D is effectivley a lighter in weight (plastic) 10D.

the 20D kills all other choices with that amazing 8 megapixel ccd... every shot is money.

hard to go wrong with canon dslr/lens combo.

prosumer digicams are not worth the money. if you are complaining about the size of a dslr you dont know what the purpose of one is. they were never intended to fit in your back pocket...

Feb 1, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
AUTOMAILER DAEMON DOOD

Ditto phreak. If you can swing it, the 20d is a no brainer. Just remember that the extra 2mp over the 10d won't make a visual difference on, say, an 8x10. It'll help as you go bigger. The "instant" on of the 20d is nice too - but then again your buildings aren't going to run away from you. Personally, I own a 10d - only because the 20d wasn't out yet.

I'd worry more about lens choice. And don't forget the 1.6 magnifaction factor of these cameras. I could recommend some lenses for architectural shooting, but you haven't listed a budget, so that's pointless. You can get an ehhh lenses for 200 or so, or great ones for a grand and more. Personally, I'd cough up the cash for the nice ones, since you'll have them for a long time and still take advantage of them once the above-listed cameras are outdated.

Oh and you'll need 2 lenses (at least, but 2 is def. enough) to cover indoors and out. And good flash for interior. Tripod. Ballhead. etc...

If all this sounds like overkill, and way too much money, you're better off with a nice digicam - or using a photographer.

(did i mention good technique and killer PS skills?)

Feb 1, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

just to follow up on the concern with lenses, most higher end consumer models (read: not SLRs) have lens adapters that support wide-angle and telephoto add-ons

Feb 2, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
phreak125

i think the 1.6x factor is only for EFS lense(s)? yes?

Feb 3, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

no, the 1.6 or 1.5 factor is for all dSLR/lense combos. the focal area on the mirror is smaller, due to the fact that the CCD is smaller than a 35mm film frame.

Feb 3, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
AUTOMAILER DAEMON DOOD

speaking of ef-s lenses, have you given any thought to the ef-s 10-22mm? equivalent to a 16-35 mm. it isn't a L series, but it's sounds quite nice. problem is it'll only work on cameras supporting ef-s mounts, like the 20d. but you'd definetly get your interiors in the shot, and you can use photoshop's very handy tranform->distort (or perpsective) to "replicate" a tilt/shift lens...

Feb 3, 05 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

I agree with the Sony F828 suggestion, I have the F717 (predecessor) and the pivoting body/lens is indispensable. It lets you shoot from the hip rather that with the camera up to your face like a tourist. The large aperature lens and low-light focus assist let you get great pics other cameras miss. And the F828 has a 28-200 mm! lens (35mm equivalent).

Feb 4, 05 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: