Archinect
anchor

New Books

dia

I recently won a prize which involves a book voucher, to the value of AUD$300.00 [USD$233.00].

I want to get myself a nice book that one would normally never buy, ie, a luxury item.

I see that there is a new T&H Zaha Hadid Complete Works, or perhaps 2 El Croquis, or maybe a good monograph on James Turrell...

Any suggestions?

Jan 27, 05 6:45 pm
dia

Has anyone got or seen this

Jan 27, 05 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
TED

ya know, i have some gmail invites....interested in swapping? who needs books when you can stay connected!

Jan 27, 05 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
dia

sorry TED - I got 9 begging for a home...

Jan 27, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
TED

damn

Jan 27, 05 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

It's not new, but how about finding a good copy of that Zumthor book everyone's been talking about being out of print and crazy expensive to lay your hand on?

Jan 27, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

how about The Phaidon Atlas of Contemporary World Architecture

it comes with its own carrying case too.

seriously though, has anyone seen this monster? is it good?

Jan 27, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Tadao Ando - complete works
BIG book by taschen...bring some help to carry it !
+they are soon coming with a Renzo Piano - complete works

Jan 27, 05 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I am more keen on an in-depth monograph... rather than a book masquerading as a small building....

Jan 27, 05 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
piquepeter

MEvs.U

I got the Phiadon Atlas of Contemporary World Arch. this past holiday season as a gift from my European in-laws.

I huffed that thing back to Seattle from Brussels. Not easy.

Great book though. It is a mighty extensive and very broad collection and the organization of the book is superb….all built work.
I would recommend this to anyone who can lift it. We’re starting to plan our vacations with it.

Jan 27, 05 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

excellent. is there quite a bit of written information or is it just a picture book?

i enjoy trulove's books about houses under certain square footage. it really helps to organize my thoughts and is a great tool to show clients what a 20 foot wide lot really yields.

Jan 27, 05 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
piquepeter

Diabase
If you are looking for an in-depth book then the phiadon atlas is probably not right for you. There is a healthy amount of text for each project given the quantity of projects there, but nothing that really gets you into the research or processes of the projects.

Jan 27, 05 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
ryan.keerns

i flipped through the zaha collection the other day at Stout. the 4 or 5 books are broken up into different sections based on a variety of media. the books slide in the plastic box at different points. the presentation quality and the container were quite different and well done.

Jan 27, 05 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Peter Eisenman Books Rare as Shit
Jan 27, 05 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

I've got one! I just picked up a book from the New Books shelf at the arch school: "RCR Aranda Pigem Vilalta Arquitectes - Between Abstraction and Nature". Introduction by William J R Curtis is a great overview of the work, but the pictures, drawings, and explanations of the projects are so beautifully presented. It's a book that makes you drool. Very sexy stuff.

Comes from a Spanish imprint, Editorial Gustavo Gili, www.ggili.com , and looks like it costs just over 70 Euros.

Jan 28, 05 8:52 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

diabase..
as far as el croquis goes...my two favorite are zaha's and miralles'
complete works...

if it were me i'd look for walter pichler's book in the 90s..it's been
out of print for a while...one of the books i regret not purchasing..
that and MOMAs Lee Botencou's monograph

Jan 28, 05 10:10 am  · 
 · 
dioscuri

not new but a thing of beauty

http://www.ga-ada.co.jp/english/ga_otherbooks/la_maison_de_verre.html

Jan 28, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

My project manager at the last firm I worked for had just bought the Zumthor book b/f I left. I had a look through it - pretty nice. The best part about it was that I believe the office reimbursed the money spent on it b/c it was for "referencing details." Nice.

Jan 28, 05 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Good call Steven - I'll probably get that one, and either:

this
, this
or this

Books are so seductive.

Jan 28, 05 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: