Archinect
anchor

2016 M.Arch in the US: Applicants -Admissions prep post here!

SilverDoe

Has anyone heard from MIT?

Mar 2, 16 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

@SilverDoe  my friend received the acceptance letter from MIT for M.Arch1.....

But I didn't receive it  yet........so sad  :(      still waiting!

How about Upenn? anyone?

Mar 3, 16 1:06 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

I guess MIT does not love us. Maybe I should not have asked them that kind of money as a need-based scholarship... But I thought MIT would accept the ones that wants to attend the program, not the rich ones...

Mar 3, 16 5:04 am  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

Think GSD'll start notifying on Friday?

Mar 3, 16 5:19 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@ebinehita that is what i understood by doing some research at the old threads of this forum

Mar 3, 16 5:21 am  · 
 · 
Katzenmaske

@asdmin May I ask where you friend went for college?

Mar 3, 16 8:04 am  · 
 · 
asdmin

@Feykir my friend got undergraduate degree in U.S

Mar 3, 16 11:02 am  · 
 · 
C. Watts

@international_applicant

Ivy schools (mainly Yale, MIT, GSD) will accept people who they know can afford it (so they don't have to give them scholarship).  Or people that have a connection to someone at the college.  Which doesn't mean that they don't accept people who can't necessarily afford it, but you certainly have to make a strong impression. 

@DeTwan (about the thread in general, not directed towards you personally)

Skimmed through that thread, it's just a bunch of bitter old architects blaming education for their own disappointments in life. They remind me of the bitter old queens in the castro, so it's all very amusing.  If you want to design regular craftsman style homes, bungalows, or colonial architecture then go get a drafting and design degree at a community technical college and STFU.  And if you are a young architect who is unwilling to learn technical drawings and skills because you just want to make "cool looking stuff", then go be an artist or graphic designer.  The field doesn't have time for your whining. 

Mar 3, 16 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

So you got an architecture degree to be a magnanimous architect that will change the world for the better? You got the arch degree to design interesting buildings and not run of the mill structures? The field doesnt have time for my whining? What does the field have time for?

I'm confused, does that mean that you are not going to turn into a queen anytime soon? Do you hang out with bitter old queens in the Castro often?

Mar 3, 16 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@C.Watts thank you for your response. I can not afford it, I do not have connections there, but I am sure I have what it takes to be there. In every university response i got i was the top applicant. I do not mean to hear arrogant but i am pretty sure that the reason i am probably rejected is because i checked the need based box and told them i need 60,000$ for 2 years. The thing that dissapoints me the most is that i thought things were different with this type of institusions. That they did not care about money but about quality of the applicant. But I guess it all comes down to the $$$$$$$. Still no response though. Maybe I am just seeing ghosts.

Mar 3, 16 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

"The thing that dissapoints me the most is that i thought things were different with this type of institusions. That they did not care about money but about quality of the applicant. But I guess it all comes down to the $$$$$$$"

LOL

You learn something new everyday....

^I think that you kids forget that quote quite often, since you think you can google anything these days.

Someday you young wippersnappers will be humbled

Mar 3, 16 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@DeTwan I knew that things like this existes. I just did not want to believe it. But I guess you learn something new everyday as you say, the hard way... hopefully i will soon tell you i was wrong

Mar 3, 16 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
hope_full

@international_applicant your Greek arrogance starts to become a little annoying. I find it funny to consider money the only possible reason for not being accepted somewhere. It terms of self-confidence you could skip grad school...you're already too competent. Why don't you just withdraw your applications to give the rest of us mortals a shot at life?:D

Mar 3, 16 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@hope_full I am really sorry for sounding like that. I really do not mean to be arrogant. If you knew me you would understand that i am not loke that. I will just shut up and wait for the results to come. :)

Mar 3, 16 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
AstridCam

@international_applicant  I personally don't believe you sound arrogant. You're confident. That's what it sounds like. And that is a positive thing to be right now, because many voices out there will tell you, that you're wrong, that you can't get where you want to be and that you probably should aim a little lower, like the rest of them. The application process is not a science, it is so subjective sometimes that it all comes down to someone's opinion of your application that one day. I've read many books and done my research about it. Of course if we were all millionaires and our parents donated money to build the campus library we would have our ticket straight into whichever program we wanted but that's not the case for most so we work hard. Apparently here there a lot of negative voices, with their own issues with the field, life in general, opportunities or just success. 

Just be patient. If MIT or any other college you are still waiting to hear from has good news, then great! If not, their loss. You already have great offers anyway. 

Good luck to everyone, and seriously try to keep each other up. 

Mar 3, 16 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
lourou

Just got acceptance from Syracuse! They'll be sending me official details in the mail!! Congrats on all the successful applicants btw!

Mar 3, 16 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
chendon7

Congrats @lourou! I'm in at Syracuse too! First acceptance!

Mar 3, 16 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

@ international_applicant

Also, keep in mind that just because you were a top choice at some schools doesn't necessarily mean you will be a top choice at all schools.  Each program is different (some drastically from others) and focuses on different aspects.  There are plenty of people who get into GSD (considered the best by many), but then get rejected from Yale, MIT, or others. Scholarship amount does this too.

@ DeTwan

Actually, the whining comment was directed towards young archies that graduate from school, get their first job, and then don't put effort or desire into learning the more technical skills.  That's what we don't have time for, to try and teach people who don’t want to learn.  A girl at my office was fired recently for this very reason.  Of course, there are a lot of whiny people on these forums too.

But yeah, clearly all millennials are exactly the same.  We all want to be famous and not do any of the hard work and have all of our dreams come true and own a unicorn while changing the world by the time we are 30. That's why we went into architecture!! Obviously!!!  Isn’t that what you want to hear? Anyways, this isn’t the topic of this thread.  If I wanted to argue about it I would have commented in the other thread. 

@lourou

Congrats! Michael Speaks was the dean at my college for undergrad, he did wonders for our program and I'm sure he's doing great things for Syracuse as well. 

Mar 3, 16 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Pitsi

@Iourou Congrats! Which program? I was admitted to the M.S. Arch.

Mar 3, 16 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
nonneutral

Also got in at Syracuse! (M.Arch I) A relief to hear back from my first school.

Mar 3, 16 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
lourou

@Pitsi Congrats!! I got into the M. Arch program

@nonneutral Congrats! 

Mar 3, 16 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Has anyone heard from GSD yet? I saw on Grad Cafe that someone received a phone call with acceptance and funding for the AP program. I am waiting for the MArch II and MDes.

Mar 3, 16 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

OMGG IN AT PENNDESIGN!!

Mar 3, 16 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
lourou

Woah, just got rejected by UVA.. Meh

@Ebinehita thought they didn't send out decisions until March 14th! Did you receive and email or was it on their application page?

Mar 3, 16 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Katzenmaske

These schools all play tricks. They say they don't send emails until certain date, but they all send emails/call their most favorable applicants before that date. I'm pretty much sure that most accepted applicants haven't heard from them, so no need to panic at all. 

Mar 3, 16 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Archigrad21

@Ebinehita Congrats! How did you hear, I haven't received anything! Also what program? Thanks. I thought it also said March 14th! 

Mar 3, 16 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

@Ebinehita wooooooh !! Penn!! I didn't get anything from Penn yet...lol Whene did you get the acceptance? did u get any scholarship offer from them? Congrats!!!!☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Mar 3, 16 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
matdez6

Yeah i still havent recieved anything at all :/

Mar 3, 16 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
RazanALT

I think tomorrow's the big day. Harvard typically releases decisions on the first Friday in March. Yale released on March 4 last year according to Grad Cafe. Good luck y'all!

Mar 3, 16 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Fingers crossed for all of us and many congrats to thoses receiving acceptances 2day!!!

Mar 3, 16 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

omg!!! u guys make me so nervous!! lol

Let's bring some good news during weekend then :D

Mar 3, 16 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

guys........I just got the acceptance letter from Upenn too!! yay

And they told me that they'll inform me regarding the scholarship stuffs by 14th

Mar 3, 16 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
gforce03

still waiting on that Cornell MArch II letter...anyone got anything in the past 2 days?

Mar 3, 16 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
lourou
@asdmin congrats!! Did you get an email??
Mar 3, 16 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

@lourou yes!!! i received an email :) it's kinda pre-notice. They told me that they'll send the official letter with scholarship offer on 14th.

Mar 3, 16 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
lourou
@asdmin aah congrats! Penn is my first choice! Still waiting anxiously!!
Mar 3, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Katzenmaske

Good luck everyone!

Mar 3, 16 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
chendon7

Eagerly awaiting tomorrow. Hope everyone gets great news!

Mar 3, 16 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
hope_full

Good luck to all of you, guys...share good news tomorrow:))

Mar 3, 16 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
ArchInspired

Good luck to everyone! Tomorrow would certainly be a big day if gsd and yale both give out offers :-)

Mar 3, 16 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

Sorry guys! I received an early notification via email saying that I was accepted  and that I would receive more information on the 14th. Also it is for the M.Arch 1 program (3 years)

Mar 4, 16 12:03 am  · 
 · 
asdmin

guys...I think GSD is sending results for AP first...

I saw three "Accepted" from the Grad Cafe... and they were AP...

So nervous!

Mar 4, 16 1:31 am  · 
 · 
Boeing777

Hi guys, does someone know what GPA conversion table they use for international students in top programs? I know about WES, but was wondering what they use exactly to convert an international grade into the U.S. Grade.

Mar 4, 16 4:46 am  · 
 · 
enotnough

i got into upenn m.arch 1 yesterday!!!! so anxious for gsd to come out..... 

Mar 4, 16 7:57 am  · 
 · 
chendon7

Is everyone waiting for GSD's M.Arch 1?

Mar 4, 16 8:26 am  · 
 · 
hope_full

@chendon7 no, some of us are waiting for March II

Mar 4, 16 8:53 am  · 
 · 
ArchInspired

Just wondering what the competition is like for March I at GSD? Any statistics like the number of applicants vs. acceptances? 

Mar 4, 16 9:04 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

@ArchInspired   ACSA has data somewhere on their website.  It may be behind a paywall...but here's the link:  http://www.acsa-arch.org/

@chendon7 Waiting on MLA I 

Mar 4, 16 9:30 am  · 
 · 
ArchInspired

@dangermouse thanks! yeah I tried to find it on ACSA once before but failed. probably need to subscribe or something. but it's okay. I guess I'm just too nervous waiting :)) good luck everyone! we'll be there!!

Mar 4, 16 9:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: