Archinect
anchor

Masonry/CMU

smashinga

Does anyone know of any projects that use masonry in an inventive or really smart way?
thx

Jan 26, 05 10:38 pm
Ms Beary

i know lots of them

Jan 26, 05 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

check out samuel mockbee/rural studio...they do some pretty cool residential stuff with masonry

Jan 27, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

i know people who spell masonry in all kinds of inventive ways...

IIRC, eric owen moss has done some pretty interesting things with masonry.

Jan 27, 05 11:47 am  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

Office dA did a house (the Toledo residence) that uses it in a pretty inventive way. Try their webiste, www.officeda.com

Jan 27, 05 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

yes, casa la roca by office da... very nice.

Jan 27, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Will Bruder's synagogue in Phoenix uses a CMU wall that's all out of true to very nice and symbolic effect (meant to evoke the Wailing Wall).

Jan 30, 05 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

Well, if you are willing to go back a few years, there's some pretty nice expressionistic use of brick done by the Amsterdam school of modernists, such as Michel de Klerk.

http://rogershepherd.com/WIW/solution3/deKlerk.html

Jan 31, 05 11:26 am  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice

I just noticed a really sweet trick in the SFMOMA by Mario Botta. He took these gray cinder bricks and every other line he would splay them all at angles, like he is want to do. The different was that space was left between the splayed bricks, so that sound would be absorbed by passing through the wall. The angled bricks probably also help to bounce sound around a bit. It was an all cinderblock auditorium, and there was almost no echo.

Feb 1, 05 1:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: