Archinect
anchor

post 9.11. architectural practice (engineering security?)

dymaxion_man

Hi,

I am looking for any articles, essays, 'manuals' etc. regarding the headline's topic of designing buildings after 9.11. online articles would be much appreciated ..
thanks in advance,

Jan 25, 05 6:37 am
abracadabra

Contact Oulade Hadj Youcef Abdel Hamide from Algeria and read about his ideas from the link below.
http://www.wtcsitememorial.org/ent/entI=350103.html

Jan 25, 05 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
dymaxion_man

Thanks alot, maybe I should add if anyone knows also of articles about consequences in general to the building and construction -"world" like significantly less new highrise building projects, or more money going into security measures or its impact on the appearans of new buildings ..

Jan 27, 05 6:32 am  · 
 · 
TED

manuals? are you al-qeuda or something? i have a friend, john at the pentagon .... should i pass your request to him?

just incase your comming to chicago, daley has placed his own pernament 'soft security systems' all around the mies federal plaza. this supplements the continuous new vehicle bollards that align the plaza, not mies's vision. not historic. as union officers, these guys get a donut break between 9-930 [i shouldnt tell you that but as it is in the secret manual and there is a dunkin donuts within spitting distance]

Jan 27, 05 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
TED

....and if you were wondering,..... no. these guys arent planning to be NHL 'scab' goalies for what's left of the season. [mandatory exercise of any kind has been eliminated from their last contract negotiation]

Jan 27, 05 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

The baby blue helmets are really a nice touch. I really enjoy the fact that there is, indeed, a Dunkin Donuts 20 ft from the officers in Ted's picture.

.mm

Jan 27, 05 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
TED

blue is much nicer! maybe, maggie, our queen, should have a talk with king dick about being more stylish. i could see how it would really work well with the flowers in the median planters throughout the city. their riot head gear would blend/accentuate the wonderful arrangement of tulips, day lillies and such. stunning.

i think the black dress of chicago's finest makes them appear a little chubbier than they are in person. with the deep cold of chicago winters, they do try to put on a little extra baby fat, expecially in the checks, from sept to march, but come summer, the-wall--o-cops get really lean![unless again, they are assigned to securty patrol for one of the big food festivals like 'taste of chicago'; a regular meeting point for suspected global terrorist. who else can protect our deep dish pizza secrets?]

Jan 28, 05 3:37 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

It sucks that all these great. Modernist “liberate the ground plane” projects are getting crapped up with vehicle barricades and those huge pots with little bushes in them.

Wouldn’t it be cool to make molds of a few of those cops and cast them in some sort of rubbery blue (a blue that matches the red Calder) resin? You could then construct and “wall of cops around” the building (a big-ass steel post inside each one would probably even make it functional) just so people know what they are looking at.

I’d be like the POP art of paranoia.

Jan 28, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
dymaxion_man

Well besides paranoia maybe someone has something else /usefull to add.

Jan 28, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

maybe you should directly contact federal government lead agency to find out if they added any revisions to their standart building contracts in bid/construction requirements since 9/11.
having said that, i see no practical way of making any building terrorist attack safe. it would be comical to request buildings to be capable of resisting forces of boeing jets crashings or ryder truck loaded with explosives blowing up.
i notice there is more survelliance in and around big buildings and that made its way into building requirements. you might gather some info from security systems business' as well.
as far as the essays, do not underestimate above responses to your post.

Jan 28, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
dymaxion_man

hmm if there is anything in them they are probably too sophisticated for me, I can't see anything in them but cynism and chauvinism . But thanks for the help abra...
I should mention that this is for sociology so it does'nt have to get into too much engineering detail.

Jan 28, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: