Archinect
anchor

AIA

JBeaumont

Rick I don't think the roofing rep has any intention of actually pursuing a license.   His employer has just figured out that an IDP record is all that's needed to make reps into "Associate AIA"s. 

As for maintaining the IDP record:  sure technically yes he or his employer would need to keep paying for that.  However, AIA doesn't appear to do anything to monitor the continued eligibility status of its members.  Do you really think if the guy sends his renewal application each year with his dues that AIA is going to check up on him?

AIA doesn't even remove those who don't pay AIA dues from their chapter rosters - mine lists coworkers who haven't been members in several years, and one who has been dead since 2011. 

As for "...and working toward licensing" - it sounds like you're advocating some minimum threshold to establish that criteria.  And yet, if there was one, how would you meet it?  It doesn't sound like you're actively working toward licensing yourself.  Other than reporting some community service, what makes you any different from the roofing rep?  Neither of you is in or has been in architecture school, neither of you is working in a recognized IDP situation...  If it just comes down to intent then how can AIA be expected to make that distinction?

Aug 12, 15 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I moved my firm to a different city, but maintained my hometown membership, didn’t go to meetings for years (for obvious reasons) and when I retired and came back home and went to a meeting, it was full of reps buying drinks…never went back.

I don’t believe in exclusion, but at the same time I don’t like dilution.

Aug 12, 15 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

JBeaumont,

Actually, I'm not advocating "...and working toward licensing." as that is already part of the rule. Being in architecture school is necessarily required to being an architect.

However, I will soon be eventually in a form of recognized IDP situation... and even a form recognized for licensure.

Aug 12, 15 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Richard you know how people got on your case for listing degrees on your resume from schools you haven't even attended yet but might in the future?  Things you're going to do "soon" also don't count.  Credentials can't come from the future.

Aug 12, 15 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

Okay but I am currently working on a few things in terms of organizational structuring with an architect. I'm going over various rules in Oregon and Washington and strategies. So soon isn't that far off.

Aug 12, 15 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: