Archinect
anchor

Planners and different roof tiles

jackstraw

Hi

I am planning to have a small single storey kitchen extension on the rear of my house - around 10sqm. The ideal is to have a duo pitched roof

My house was built in 1963 and has red interlocking concrete tiles. 

I have appointed an architect who has drawn up the plans for the existing property and is now ready to go to the next stage - drawing up some sketch plans.

However when I was looking to appoint an architect I invited two different firms to come and have a look at my property and give me their comments on the proposed work, from which I selected one firm to represent me. Of the two firms one was absolutely certain that the local planners - Tonbridge and Malling in Kent, would not allow anything but matching roof tiles whereas the second firm were equally adamant that a different style would be acceptable to the planners

My problem is that the position of a first floor window is such that the angle of a duo pitch roof would have to be fairly low, below that required for interlocking concrete tiles. 

Is there a way of sounding out the local planners to ascertain whether they would always dismiss 'other roof tiles' in which case there is no point in wasting time and money having sketches and plans drawn up for a duo roof, although as I have said that is my preference, and I will run with a flat roof instead

Many thanks for any advice

Jack

Jul 17, 15 11:40 am
proto

normally i would say trust your architect, but it seems you are suspicious of what they're telling you.

are the architects you are talking to familiar with local zoning regulations? if not, find one that is

Regulated exterior finishes like roof tiles should be very clearly stipulated by your local jurisdiction. I suspect they are not unless you are in a historic district or have an HOA that controls the architectural character of the development.

Call your local regulatory jurisdiction directly, if you don't trust the architect you've hired. There should be a clear document identifying limitations to architectural finishes 

good luck!

Jul 17, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Galex slate

Hi Jack, 

flat interlocking roof tiles as well as slates all have their limitations on roof pitch as you mentioned.

We distribute a flat interlocking tile for roofs from 12 degrees, can be a bit lower in very sheltered areas.  Lots of colours, finishes etc.

Perfect for low pitch roof, extension roofs, only 12.5 tiles per metre squared.

You can find out a bit more info on the link below.

http://www.galex.co.uk/cs-tile

Don't hesitate to get in contact.

Thanks, Ben.

Sep 15, 18 11:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: