Archinect
anchor

vent stack should always be straight?

jlxarchitect

For a multistory condo, I need to propose a swimming pool for the client. I wonder how to treat those vent stack pipes? Can I regroup them in near roof area then out in one big pipe?

Jan 24, 05 1:34 am
dolemite

ask your mech. engineer

Jan 24, 05 8:45 am  · 
 · 
JG

Just vent them into a pool and voila, you have a jacuzzi!

Jan 24, 05 9:10 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

JG: That is a good one. I like it.

I would also like to pop the polluted air into your house to cheer you up.

Jan 24, 05 10:49 am  · 
 · 
cmissle

Vent stacks are sized by the type and amount of fixtures attached to them. In past projects we have taken these vent to a cupola on the roof to exhaust / hide them. I havent seen the vents over 4" or 5". You may have a group of vents that exit the roof in one location. If you have arch graphic standards.... (10th ed. pgs. 686-693)

Jan 24, 05 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Thanks, crissle. I will check AGS this afternoon.

Jan 24, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

The M&E engineer would be able to calculate the 'draw' through the vent dependant on the parameters of the vent and geometry of the run. Stack pipes from sanitary drainage can be vented with an air admittance valve such as a Durgo valve. This will prevent the smells escaping and will prevent the loss of water seals in trapped appliances.

If not you may have to vent the stack by a minimum vertical dimension above the nearest opening which could be a problem around a swimming pool.

Jan 24, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

I saw some buildings have a rooftop swiming pool. They must have done sth to prevent people seeing the vents. Is there a mechanically exhausted vent stack?

Jan 24, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

I wouldn’t recommend mechanically venting a stack pipe it would do one of two things.

a) suck your shits from the pan, up the pipe, macerate and spray the fine shitty mist into the air above your pool.

b) Blow your shit back up your arse.

Air con is different.

Jan 24, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Organic9

You could just get a copy of the local plumbing and mechanical code for your jurisdiction. They are sometimes available at the local library, if you don't want to buy them. the answers to all the questions you have asked are in them.

Jan 25, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: