Archinect
anchor

Exac Exam 2015 Part 3 - study group TORONTO?

nappy

Hey guys,

Is anyone doing the Exac Exam this year?

I failed part 3 in 2014 and wondering if there's anyone studying for this as well based in Toronto. Thinking of starting a study group in a couple of months. Would anyone be interested? Please just post in this thread and lemme know.

thanks!

Jul 7, 15 10:09 am
Non Sequitur

Part 3 had a 86% pass rate last year.

The best way to study is through extended work in a professional office. Take every opportunity over the next few months to participate in all stages of projects, from concept to construction admin and you should have no issues. The exams are practice-based and in no way are they there to trick you.

Jul 7, 15 10:41 am  · 
 · 
nappy

Hi NS,

Thanks for your response. I think all parts had a 85+% pass rate. 

Experience from office to office is a variable. I just don't think it's realistic, for me at least, to ideally participate in all stages of a project in a few months. For example, some offices might only do competition entries are have a limited number of jobs and they are in the SD phase. Factor in the fact that if you work in a big office you are pigeon-holed into certain roles and that's another variable that you do not have much control over.

Your advice is solid and makes great sense but I may not have such opportunities. So aside from experience...do you have any advice? I can only think of reading through material pertaining to details, different types of framing/structural systems etc.

I think exam part 3 is hardest for me as you are probably right in that it actually requires good experience. The other parts I managed to pass with limited experience (all I did for past 4 years was schematic design/concept work for the previous firm I worked for). I just studied for those exams from notes/reading through CHOP.

Jul 7, 15 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nappy,

Rather hard to imagine someone ready to write the ExACs and has not had sufficiently broad exposure to the profession but, they do allow people to sit-in for the tests at 50% IDP.

I would suggest you approach someone senior in your office and ask to borrow an old set of CDs and specs. Study them. Cross-reference the specifications and consultant drawings. Follow up on the code matrix. Look at the site-instructions and change orders issued during construction. Ask those who worked on that project to tell you what sort of issues they had. etc. Take one out for a beer or two to coax more info if you have to.

When I wrote my ExACs... 5 years ago I think. I sat down with a few friends who worked in various types of offices and we provided information to each-other where there was a lack of.

Jul 7, 15 11:57 am  · 
 · 
nappy

Hi NS,

Thanks for the solid advice I will do that. The requirements for writing the EXAC is just 2800 non-specific hours working at an architecture office. 

Jul 7, 15 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
arbk

Hi Nappy,

This year it is the first time I am registered for exam, and where are you in case we can arrange a study group. I am still reading materials.

Thanks

Jul 13, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
nappy

hey arbk,

Awesome. Sent you an email.

Jul 16, 15 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
ExACt

Hi,

I am also writing all four exams this year for the first time and would like to get in touch with others writing them to exchange ideas.

Thanks

Jul 17, 15 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

bump

hey exact,

sent you an email last week keep in touch!

Jul 27, 15 10:03 am  · 
 · 
HKTO

Hi guys

I am willing to help you with my notes from last year's exam , If anyone is interested .

Good luck .

HKTO

Jul 28, 15 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

Hi HKTO,

That would be great what sort of notes do u have for part 3?

ty

Jul 28, 15 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
HKTO

Hi Nappy

The notes I have are some short answers to the objectives.

cheers

Jul 30, 15 9:44 am  · 
 · 
nappy

hey hkto sent u a message. 

Jul 30, 15 10:26 am  · 
 · 
nappy

Hey HKTO,

Thanks again.I sent you a message to the email linked to ur archinect account with my email/contact information.

Also EXACT, i sent you a message to your email account as well that's linked to ur archinect account. 

You guys may want to check ur spam folder if it's not showing up!

n

Jul 30, 15 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
AKNN

Hi guys/HKTO:

Am in Calgary, will be writing all 4 exam this year. Can any one of you share the notes from HKTO?

cheers,

H

Aug 4, 15 1:02 am  · 
 · 
nappy

Hey AKNN,

I can share you notes can you private message me your email?

I do have notes for parts 1-4.

Aug 4, 15 9:43 am  · 
 · 
nappy

ps: does anyone know a good way to study for exam part 3 final project?

Aug 4, 15 9:51 am  · 
 · 
AKNN

Thanks nappy, I pm you my email to your email account linked to this forum.

Aug 4, 15 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

Dear AKNN,

I did not get your email.  Checked my spam folder etc.

Please message me again.

Aug 5, 15 9:36 am  · 
 · 
AKNN

Hi nappy,

Can you try now? hopefully works this time, if not please pm me your email and I will contact you directly.

ps:  Francis D .K. Ching's Building Construction illustrated seems useful for part 3.   

Aug 5, 15 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
AKNN

Hi nappy,

you can you send the notes to this email:  [email protected]

thanks!

Aug 6, 15 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

hi aknn

sorry just saw ur post will send it later today

Aug 8, 15 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
AKNN

Great, thanks. If you interested I have some notes/Q&A from CHOP,CCDC.

cheers,

A

Aug 8, 15 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

shameless BUMP 

mainly for those who failed EXAC PART 3 2014 and need to rewrite in Nov.

Want to get a study group ready. Post here or private message me thanks!

Aug 10, 15 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
mohamedabou

Hi my email is [email protected] can any one who passed tge exam send me notes to organise my self didn't pass last year I have local experience. Thanks

May 30, 16 12:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^no.
The exams are practice based and have 80% pass rates. If you failed (all four?) it's not because you did not study the right notes, it's because you lack real world experience.

Best to seek greater responsibilities from your office.
May 30, 16 12:12 am  · 
 · 
mohamedabou

Dear I did more than 7 projects in Canada and some of them were my own projects fir my clients. I need the help to organise tge preparation for the test. PMP it's an experience test also but there is a huge preparation for it.

May 30, 16 12:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Mo,

This is something you should be discussing, in person, with your IAP mentor since it's their job is to help plug your knowledge gaps. You will not gain anything by taking a short-cut and soliciting answers from an internet forum and the ExACs are pretty damn simple for most people with 2-3 year experience. If you struggled to pass, it's not because of your preparation notes.

Easy to see how you would struggle with the professional practice part of the tests seeing as you claim to practice with a license. Diversify your experiences, both through all phases of construction and all assembly types. Don't ask google to save you.

May 30, 16 8:25 am  · 
 · 
rashinika

Hi guys,

I'm going to pass the exams this year for first year. Could you please give me some advises or any notes that can help me.

Thank you so much in advance

Jul 2, 16 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Dragorium

Hello,

I've just registered for the EXAC for this coming fall.

I’ve interned for 4 months a year while at school for my Master’s and been working in the industry full time for the past 3 years.

I have been studying CHoP, ARE study guide, and reading a lot of articles (NBC is next on my list to study) since February this year.

My biggest concern is, I am not sure how the information I have been studying will be translated into question form in the exam. I’ve recently being reading in CHoP about management of an office/risk/quality management, but I’m not sure how this kind of knowledge would be tested.

Does anyone have any experience/memory about any of these types of questions? Feel like I am going in blind, and no matter how much I study some questions are going to come at me from left field.

Thank you,

Jul 11, 16 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ don't spend any time with the ARE guides. The ExAcs are a very different type of exams and will test you through multiple choice or long/short answer questions on professional practice. Make sure you read both volumes of the NBC.

Jul 11, 16 11:06 am  · 
 · 
tinabarooti

hi everyone,

I failed part 1 last year, does anyone know what resources are for part 1.

Aug 29, 17 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You should already know since you've already taken the exam once before.

Aug 29, 17 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
mmunawar

Any doing exac exam group study

want to join the group for study

email address is

[email protected]

Sep 6, 17 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
mjjjj
This is a great thread.
Sep 6, 17 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is it really?

Sep 6, 17 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

I want to join a study group and would appreciate any notes too!! I'm in Toronto. [email protected]

Sep 7, 17 10:45 am  · 
 · 
carlsberg

Hi All,

I've made some flashcards if you wish to study that way. They are just some of the notes taken in response to the themes, not exam type questions. Mostly lists. May help you or it may not, I have not written yet, so I have no idea if they are useful...

https://www.brainscape.com/p/1...

Oct 28, 17 1:53 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Many thanks for this Carlsberg!

Oct 28, 17 5:56 am  · 
 · 
mynalawal

HI All,

Please can you hare your notes with me for the EXAC.

My email address is [email protected].

Thank you

Nov 22, 17 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Why?

Nov 22, 17 11:52 am  · 
 · 
mynalawal

I am writing the Exac next month. Any assistance with notes will be greatly appreciated. My email address is [email protected]

Oct 18, 18 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sorry, I wrote my exams 7 years ago and all my notes were mark-ups on real working drawings and margin scribbles in my NBC code books. It is also forbidden to share test answers but, if you took your intern hour accumulation seriously, then there really is nothing to worry about.

Oct 18, 18 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
mynalawal

Thanks Non.

Oct 18, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: