Archinect
anchor

I can "put things together"

greengoblin

Okay, so through out my brief career and on this board, we always hear architects say " I am a good architect because I know how to put things together" and "Other architects suck because they don't know how to put things together"

I admit it. I do not know how to put things together. In fact, I don't even know what "put things together" really means. I was wondering if anyone feels the same way and if anyone can tell me how I can learn to put things together, especially when I can barely surivive in front of my CAD machine?

Jan 20, 05 9:37 pm
exquisite corpse

It means, you can spend all your time diagramming the programmatic distribution of breath across the modes of interstitial space, but do you know how the wall is going to meet the floor?

Jan 20, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Museschild

the basics, if you haven't looked at them lately--Ching's Building Construction Illustrated. Good to thumb through to put together the missing links when there's random CAD details floating in your brain.

Jan 21, 05 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

Sorry I can't refuse to add in ---- now if you modeled the thing on a screen in 3D, then why not "press a button" and have the intire framework automatic generated, then you don't even have to vorry to get things together. 3D-H I mean.

Jan 21, 05 7:12 am  · 
 · 
hutch

here we go again....

Jan 21, 05 7:59 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

you gotta give him credit though, 321 posts and all about the same thing. you wonder if he hates living with himself. singularly focused he is....

but, corpse is right.

Jan 21, 05 8:11 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

the kit of parts, windows, doors, floors, columns, beams, that compose a building can be assembled so many different ways. the architect designs the way the window sits in the wall - the jamb, the material surrounding type stuff. What is shown to the eye, and what is holding things up and keeping elements out? Edge conditions, material connections and abuttments - pay attention to how you can get different effects by looking at buildings around you and know that there is more than one way to skin a cat, err, or a building I mean.

I for one have more and more appreciation for the latest masters of architecture when I struggle with these details of "gosh, how the hell is this going to go together?" In school, I thought BIG DEAL to Geary's blobs and Rem's skins - I can do (conceptualize) that too. But lately I have to wonder how much time Rem spends on the phone asking if the tile is 1/4" or 3/8" thick and if there are nosing accessories to go with it for the stairs, or talking with the engineer about which way the floor framing is going to run to maximize economy. It has to be their staff. One of our principal architects will only do schematic design and then hand it to me or another intern to "make it work". He is good at design as far as the look of the building, but he is not the puzzle master, he must rely on his staff. Is he a good architect? I don't know, I guess I would still say yes.

Jan 21, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 
rak1os

work for a structural engineer, they know how to "put things together"

Jan 21, 05 9:35 am  · 
 · 
e

try legos.

Jan 21, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
eu80

Ask - Ask - Ask. It was probably apparent to who ever hired you that you didn't know construction so they won't be surprised if you ask, they are probably expecting it.

Jan 21, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
dioscuri

putting things together is most directly tied into the so-called 'economy of means', which doesn't always mean the best way to put something together.
in the end whatever you choose will get value engineered out by the usual suspects: CM, client rep, GC or sometimes directly by client. then what you thought 'worked' is replaced by the cheapest thing on the market. not necessarily cheaper in the long run either.

Jan 21, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i asked the same question to an old architect when i started my first job in architecture. his answer was simple but very useful for me. he said, "in architecture putting things together often means taking them apart". beautiful. worked for me. good luck.

Jan 21, 05 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

work in construction

Jan 21, 05 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
e909

burn down the neighborhood if you'd like to see structural details exposed.

Feb 10, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
claude

it is all about the order of the assembly. its no good to burn down the nabe to see skeletons.... you have to say: what would be the first component i would need to put this together? taking it apart. yes.

Feb 10, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: