Archinect
anchor

Maz lighting tutorials

TickerTocker

Besides http://www.cgarchitect.com, are there any other good sites out there for Max lighting tutorials?

Before anybody asks, yes I've already searched the previous discussions on this topic, and they're not really all that informative.

Jan 20, 05 8:50 am
French

you mean max right? I know of a good interior tutorial (for advanced users though, since ther's no talking) , pretty simple and handy. It's made for vray. Search in the www.chaoticdimension.com forum.

Jan 20, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
andrew04

[http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/]cgarchitect forums[/url]

there might be an old thread on lighting, most of those people are pros

Jan 20, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
andrew04
cgarchitect

lets try that again

Jan 20, 05 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
andrew04

jesus, Im going to sleep, I didnt even read the first part of you post Ticker

Jan 20, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Data

Not a tutorial but a book, but digital lighting and rendering by jeremy birn is a good resource for workflow of lighting and how to set up quality lighting. does not cover radiosity or global illumination a lot. it is application independent.

Jan 20, 05 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

Sorry, I really DO wish there was an 'edit' button on this thing. Yes, I meant Max.

The problem with the cgarchitect tutorials (not that they're bad. on the contrary, they're really good) is that they only cover standard Max lights. There's hardly anything available for photometrics and Mental Ray.

Is VRay good? And really worth learning?

Jan 21, 05 12:50 am  · 
 · 
French

Indeed. A lot more efficient and easier to learn than MR. A lot faster. Not too expensive compared to others. I've been using it professionally for two years now and it's the best IMHO. I mean, there are better stuff in Final Render, Brazil or even Mental Ray but if you to learn just one it should be Vray.

Jan 21, 05 4:35 am  · 
 · 
AlexKaiser

For good max tutorials, I would recomment, going to www.cgtalk.com (pretty much the biggest visual effects forum on the net) www.3dtotal.com if you go to the freestuff at the top then tutorials they have alot of written tutorials, I find the best for max tutorials is www.3d-palace.com which have many MANY video tutorials. Other sites you could check out are www.3dcafe.com www.evermotion.com (these guys also have alot of tuts) I can probably dig up more but this should give you a good basis for now alot of knowledge in those sites

Jan 21, 05 6:09 am  · 
 · 
trace™

You can get superb results with any software, with any renderer. MR is too cumbersome and too expensive (if you need a render farm you have to buy a license for each machine, unlike Final Render, VRay, Brazil).

I use Final Render and am quite happy with it. If you have the extra cash, go for one of those.

Jan 21, 05 8:45 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

Thanks a lot, guys

Jan 21, 05 9:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: