Archinect
anchor

statement of purpose

ross

does anyone have any advice on what to write for a statement of purpose?

things to include?
things to avoid?

I've finished a couple versions of mine, and I'm looking to make sure I've included everything I need.

it seems like the information out there is both vague and contradicting?

I don't want to write about legos...

Jan 19, 05 9:03 pm
Jr.

Berkeley has a pretty good guide for writing a Statement of Purpose:

http://career.berkeley.edu/Grad/GradStatement.stm

It's more for "academic" rather than "design" grad programs, but still gives a pretty good outline of things admissions committees are looking for in a statement.

I've written a lot of these over the past twelve years (fourteen, if my count is right, and that doesn't include the four that I just finished for Ph.D. program applications). The only specific advice I can suggest is to have several versions, one for each program to which you're applying. Make sure the admissions committee can tell you know something about their program. Don't be afraid to mention specific faculty members, courses, overseas study opportunities, etc. In your mind, you should be able to answer the question "Why are applying to OUR school?"

Hope this helps.

Jan 19, 05 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
ross

thanks for the help snjr

Jan 19, 05 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: