Archinect
anchor

Architecture Duel in NYC

brookmeier

Was anyone at the Duel last night between Diller+Scofidio+Renfro and Smith-Miller+Hawkinson?

What was the project?

Who won?

Was it cool?

Is there any chance this will become a reality TV program?

Jan 19, 05 11:06 am
Rock + roll
Jan 19, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
mmm3

someone in my office went. they said the free beer was already gone and it was a snooty harvard/yale crowd. go figure.

Jan 19, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

are there pics of the models? i don't care about these peeps in the pics, peeps aren't architecture. i want to see the amazing models that rock stars can build...i want architectuure i say....ARCHITECTURE DAMN IT! GIMME!

Jan 19, 05 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i think you may be a bit disappointed captain EO...
although the smith miller contingent actually had a
decentish model for the amount of time...ds+r's
contingent was more of a box with a tub sticking out
of it...but i think they were drunk..

i'm not from yale or harvard..but i was there...mmm3
i was with the two people that were dancin.

Jan 19, 05 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

what? i would totally have went. when's the next one??

Jan 19, 05 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i wish that i lived in a city....

mad props to those who put this on! it sounds like it was a totally awesome idea and event.

Jan 19, 05 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Look Mr. Harvard/Yale shades guy. Nobody “wins” when we dress up like an extra from the Martix and dance around like a reject from an InSync video. We’ve got to maintain the dignity of our profession. How are we ever going to bring back Archagram and Superstudio and all that great stuff with tubes sticking out the top if we go around all shaving and cutting our hair and shit.

Besides anything that telescopes unexpectedly is better than anything that doesn’t.

Seriously though, that was weird. Since when do we have net working events?

I though it felt like a 90’s retro launch party but then I though the Venice Biennale felt like a boat show for architecture.

How come the kids who organized that took more pictures of each other than they did of us? Charles “Who the Fuck is Charles Renfro” Renfro was there. They should have gone all paparazzi on that guy instead of taking pictures of themselves in the bathroom mirror.

Jan 19, 05 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Photos of the models
Jan 20, 05 3:00 am  · 
 · 
too degrading

WTF?

Jan 20, 05 4:56 am  · 
 · 
ahr ki tehkt

from what i remember, there were 350 votes and johnson won by a mere 10. a lot of people were demanding a recount and there was also talk of a flawed voting system. i watched the guy next to me stuff two handfuls of ballots into the bag, (for Johnson of course). johnson seemed to have his entire office + friends + family there. anyway, i will post some pics later.

Jan 20, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
dioscuri

the Johnson model does have some homemade bong qualities to it which would win my vote if it actually worked, though besides that the results don't seem very convincing.

Jan 20, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

didn't they only have certain materials to work with?
or what it use what you find?

details?

if johnson only won by 10 votes and had tons of cohorts there, then that isn't so impressive.

it does like his model was a little bit cleaner though....

Jan 20, 05 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

yawn

Jan 20, 05 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

stop wasting valuable time and do something real

Jan 20, 05 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
ConstructionKid

That's hella wack, it's like 'Iron Chef' but for architects. C'mon....

Jan 20, 05 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

stephanie et al: here is the brief and the materials given

"The year is 2050, space is no longer the final frontier. Since the end of 2004, the world has seen an explosion of consumer space travel. Over the course of the past 30 years, space travel has become a popular activity for the affluent traveler. Seeing the opportunity to commoditize this industry, the United States made a push in 2040 to colonize the moon.
10 years later, the moon has been claimed as an American State. The United States has the need to erect a lavish tower that will hold all of the government offices, and homes for the government employees working on the moon to expand the colony. There will be no expense spared, as the building will also house vacation properties for the Rich and Famous. The top floors will house the presidential penthouse suite. An office over which the commander in chief will oversee the colonies development, host foreign dignitaries, and live from on his trips to the moon.
This building should reflect the bold, brash, intelligence and leadership that is the spirit of the United States of America."

They were given these materials:
One 3 foot metal ruler
Triangle ruler
8 sheets of foam core
one no.1 exacto knife, 15 blades
one hot glue gun, 12 glue sticks
zap-a-gap glue
zip kicker spray
blue foam pad
Blue plastic boxes
75 feet aluminum foil
2 metal clips
4 hollow plastic rods
pencils
2 sharpie markers
gummi bears
toothpicks
double sided tape

Upon hearing the brief, the contestants had 30 minutes to plan and sketch their design. At the end of the 30 minutes, their assistants joined them on stage, and they had one hour to build their structures. When time was up, audience members voted via silent ballot on the best design.

The SM+H assemblage of towers looked a lot like one OMA project near the end of Content (in Taiwan?). I sort of liked the DS+R thing a lot more. Decptively simple... a bit similar to the Whitney, but more like an Archigram moveable contraption.

Jan 21, 05 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: